3-D movies on a HDTV. It is possible .

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Luis M, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Well folks I tried the Imax 3D dvd set on my HDTV and it works like a charm. I have the 65" RCA SCENIUM and the panasonic RP-91 dvd player. I put the dvd in the video mode instead of auto and I am getting first rate 3-D just like the picture I get on a regular tv, only bigger. Then I tried the dvd with the AUTO option and it still works but I think in the video mode it delivers a clearer picture. I am as surprised as some of you are, after all the dvd case says that it does not work on any flat tv. The RCA SCENIUM is last year's model.

2. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I should add that it is a projection tv.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Okay, maybe I'm missing something; but since projection TVs are the same damned thing as a regular TV and their core functions operate the same way (electrons onto a phosphorus lining), why would field-sequential 3D not work with a projection TV? I'm no electrical engineer, but the core mechanicsms are the same. What's with the warning - or are they mistakenly attributing all flat screens to LCD/plasma?

4. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Most of the confusion occurs with newer technologies that use progressive scanning. When some cannot get a field-sequential 3-D video to play on a progressive scan set they may assume progressive scan does not allow for 3-D playback. What many don't realize is how the 480i signal is converted to 480p (or 720p or 1080i for that matter) is the key to proper progressive scan 3-D playback. Interpolation keeps the original field integrity intact after being converted to progressive.

Oh yes.. most LCD projectors cannot play back 3-D field-sequential video, as the decay rate on LCD is too slow.

5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I just bought a Piano HE-3100 DLP projector. It only accepts interlaced and converts it to progressive. Any way to play 3-D DVD's on this?

6. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

how about on a DLP TV?