What's new

3-D Movies and Friday the 13th (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Last night I was at best buy and was looking at theyre box sets. I noticed they had a 3 DVD collection. 3 movies, Night of the living dead, and two other old school horror movies.
its made and packaged the excact same way as this one.......
Similar Box Set

Anyway, they said they come with "shutter" glasses or something to that nature and they appeared to be gray. Is that the same kind as IMAX or similar, or more like the Red/Blue 3D Movies?

Are these cool 3d movies?
Are they done good?
Are they REALLY worth 80 dollars?

I was somewhat impressed with Spy Kids and Nightmare On Elm Street >>>>>>>>>
Im hoping this is a little better

And then.......

Is there any way to get Friday the 13th 3 on DVD with 3d glasses. Did they release it like that?

Thanks Guys:D

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
There is a version of F13 Part 3D (the only one released in 3D) that was released around 15-20 years ago in Japan, but it is for a dead format... I forget what the format was called... Videodisc maybe???

There is a bootleg DVD that floats around, but that is highly suggested against seeing as bootlegs are just a big no no...

You best bet would be to wait until after Sept. 19th. Paramount is expected to make an announcement about what will be on the SE Friday the 13th 1-8 discs being released next year... Maybe you will get lucky and they will announce a 3-D version as an option on one of the discs...

Any version of Friday the 13th in 3D would require those shutter glasses though because thats how it was shot...

Plain old red and blue 3D glasses will not do the trick and be useless... IMO, plain 3D glasses for 3D is very weak anyways and doesnt work very well to begin with...

A few years ago I tried to watch the Freddy's Dead DVD with the 3D glasses included and I didnt notice really much of anything except that I was getting a headache from the offbeat colors...

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The movies in that pack you saw (Night of the Living Dead, etc.) were not photographed or presented ever in 3-D. The video is a public-domain print (rather ugly) that they added computer-generated effects on to make it look like 3-D. Avoid at all costs.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
SlingShot has several 3-D packs on the market, some with real 3-D movies in them, and others with ordinary 2-D movies processed to be seen with glasses, but the results are poor as Peter stated.

It's all very confusing and SlingShot should be ashamed for trying to pass off flat movies as being converted to 3-D, which they aren't.

The set with NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS and DEMENTIA 13 should be avoided as none of these movies are 3-D.

The set containing CAMP BLOOD, ZOMBIE CHRONICLES and HUNTING SEASON is OK as all of these low budget horror films were shot on video in 3-D and the one with ENCOUNTER IN THE THIRD DIMENSION, ALIEN ADVENTURE and HAUNTED CASTLE
is alright as well as these were all large format/IMAX 3-D flicks.

There are a couple of other real 3-D movies out as well, such as SOS PLANET and ULTIMATE Gs.

As stated above, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 was released years ago on VHD videodisc in Japan; but any DVDs you see for sale are bootlegs from that. Hopefully Paramount will include a 3-D version in any future re-release of this film on DVD.

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
That Freddy's Dead 3-D effect is a funny thing. I watched it on my computer using PowerDVD and it worked great. Demons were flying at me and everything. But everywhere I go no one else got it to work.

Friday the 13th Part 3 has to have a 3-D mose. So much of the movie is set up with 3-D in mind that watching it in 2-D ruins many effects. Let's hope Paramount gives us this way cool extra.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
That Freddy's Dead 3-D effect is a funny thing. I watched it on my computer using PowerDVD and it worked great. Demons were flying at me and everything. But everywhere I go no one else got it to work.
Since that sequence was shown via the anaglyph process (red and blue glasses), it's likely that your computer monitor has better color rendition and resolution than any of the televsions you may have tried it on. Accurate color is essential for the anaglyph process to work at all.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
So is the Freddy movie thats on DVD have it 3d enabled I didnt think it did. I have power dvd and if it looks better than spy kids I may pick it up.
I currently have
Friday 13th 1, 2
Nightmare 1, 2 I hope to collect them all. But now you say theyre re releasing them all again. Man maybee I should wait.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think the version of Freddy's Dead with the 3-D sequence at the end is only available in the big box set of all the Elm Street films.

GregK

Screenwriter
The upcoming festival of 3-D Movie Trailers DVD should have some nice anaglyph blue/red snippets on it.

..Besides original (2-D) theatrical trailers for over 40 3-D films from the 1950's, there will also be true 3-D trailers for "It Came From Outer Space" and "the Maze", along with the "Train Arriving" clip shot by the famous Lumiere Brothers. For the DVD, these three true stereoscopic shorts will be presented in the anaglyph 3-D format. While I wish they would have included field-sequential 3-D versions of these clips, the fact that the clips are originally black & white should mean we hopefully have a chance at somewhat decent 3-D anaglyph conversions. (Color anaglyph -IMO- is terrible!) DVD's increased color bandwidth when compared to other consumer video formats also helps things some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks