3 crossovers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chris Soto, May 23, 2005.

1. Chris Soto

Chris Soto Auditioning

Hi,
    I run a HTPC and i'm having difficulties as far as the crossovers go. They are operated through the sound card, Audigy ZS 2 Platinum, another through my reciever, Onkyo TX-SR502 and the last one on my sub, Mirage OM-200. I really wish i could disable 2 of them and only use one. The Computer can do the crossover from 10Hz to 320Hz. The reciever goes in increments: 60, 80, 100, 120 and 150Hz. The sub goes from 40Hz to 120Hz. I'm not sure what to do. If I play a DVD only the Receiver and the sub are used, but if i want to listen to music all 3 are involved. I was thinking of setting two at the same crossover point or all three at the same crossover point. I know that a lot of it will depend on what type of crossovers they are and unfortunatley i don't know. I imagine it's just going to take a lot of tweaking. but i was hoping somebody has delt with this many crossovers before so that maybe they could give me some pointers. Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are using the preamp out (RCA) for your sub from the Onkyo, you should be able to simply turn the OM-200's x-over all the way up - this will effectively disable it.

Setting them to the same thing will cause each of them to combine and create a very steep slope at the x-over point, which may or may not cause problems.

I would think there would be a way to disable the one on the Audigy, but I'm not familiar with it.

3. Chris Soto

Chris Soto Auditioning

I put the crossover on the sub all the way up and that helped. The Onkyo is set to 100Hz and the sound card is set to 80Hz. It sounds good. I also realized that the OM-200 has a Xover Bypass connection but i'm scared to use it because I like how things sound and I spent 2 hours tweaking it.

Thanks John for your help.

On a different note: For anybody with an Audigy soundcard I reccomend getting the KX project drivers for it instead of using creative's drivers. Less bulk and tons more features. I was able to match timbres between my Front speakers and my Center speaker using a built in mono parametric equalizer one for both right and left channels. The Left and Right speakers are these old Sanyo speakers with 12 inch subs 5 inch mid and 2 inch tweeter, got them for free off my grandmother[​IMG] They sound great for being old, Sanyo and free. Respond very well down to 80hz. And the center is a Polk center speaker. Got them to match well.

With the KX project drivers I can save calibration settings for when i'm sitting at my computer or if I'm on the couch. I can use as many 5 band parametric equalizers as I want with it. I'm Currently using 15 bands for fixing nulls and peaks. If you got fustrated with the overpriced Audigy ZS Platinum soundcard like I did These open sourced drivers will change your opinion of it. They'll work on any Audigy.

OK, I'm finished shamelessly promoting these drivers.