Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tanner-
Thanks for the notice. I already had
M. Hulot's Holiday and was waiting
to purchase the other two, as they were lower on
my priority list of films to buy "this month" ;).
Glad to get them now before the Criterion versions
are hard to come by...even if that possibly is months away.
Mark

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Thanks for the heads-up! I've had these titles on the backburner for months. Now I'll definitely pick them up though I imagine they'll be in stock for a while yet - I doubt that they're huge sellers. Still, better safe than sorry! :)

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
For a Criterion timetable, the Hulot's comedies
are fairly recent, why would they go OOP so fast?
Will they come out under another label?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Since I'm totally broke, I'm relieved to find that the titles in question are all already in my collection. Whew!
All 3 are defintely highly recommended though. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Thanks for the heads-up! I really enjoy Jacques Tati's films and will have to pick these up now. I especially like M. Hulot's Holiday, since its pace is very methodical, kind of like an enjoyable lazy summer day, but fused to each and every scene is a comic deftness and timing that is genius.
The scene in Holiday where the firecracker whooshes throught the open window, :laugh::laugh: gets me every time.
They don't make comedies like this anymore.
Again, thanks for the news!
Joseph

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I wouldn't be so sure. I bought Playtime a short while ago, but had put off getting the other 2 until I found out about the OOP today. DVDPlanet pulled them from their site entirely (as of 10-11est anyway). DVDEmpire is out of stock. I ordered from deepdiscount.

Enrique, I believe Playtime is considered the best (or at least most artistic) of the 3, but it is also the least accessible. M. Hulot's Holiday is the most accessible, but I think the slightest thematically.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I placed an order for Mon Oncle and Playtime last night at Digital Eyes. Today I got an e-mail stating that they won't be able to fill all orders due to overwhelming demand. Mine was cancelled. Time to look for another option.:frowning:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm sorry to see you guys having such terrible luck with getting these titles.
Perhaps my one complaint about Criterion is that they don't give enough notice when stuff is going to go OOP. :frowning:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Perhaps my one complaint about Criterion is that they don't give enough notice when stuff is going to go OOP
They don't need to, they could say a year in advance and all the ebay scalpers would be filling their shopping carts. I just wish I had the cash to be one of them, I could use the money!
My favorite of the three is Mon Oncle. M. Hulot's Holiday is great slapstick, and Playtime does the whole alienation comedy very well, but Mon Oncle covers that middle ground perfectly. Maybe its just the fish fountain. :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Whew, just barely got them.

I placed orders at Amazon, Digital Eyes, and Lasers Edge with no success. Barnes and Noble.com (bn.com) came through with and shipped my last minute order. Check your local Borders and Barnes and Noble stores. Some of the larger music stores may have some too.

This is a rather foolish way to handle OOP. Playtime had a defect in the first batch and if they aren't supposed to go out of print until Oct.31, then why not put out another batch of disks before that date. They should be prepared for countless requests for corrected copies of Playtime too.

Thanks, Tanner for the warning.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Whew! I placed an order with DVDPlanet yesterday for Mon Oncle and Playtime and received an email notification that my order was being allocated at their warehouse. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! They didn't have any copies of Mr. Hulot's Holiday in stock so I had to order that one from Amazon - the cost was a bit higher but they still had it in stock so I'm not too worried about that one. Sigh, like I really needed this right now! Too many DVDs, not nearly enough money! :frowning:

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I ordered Mon Oncle and Play Time from DVDPlanet as soon as I heard the news and so I managed to get both of these at 35% off. They had already removed the listing for M. Hulot's Holiday and so I had to order it from Barnes and Noble. DVDPlanet has now removed the listings for all three titles.
The best place to still find these titles is Borders. My local Borders doesn't have them, but I checked their store inventory and a lot of other stores still have all three titles in stock.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
For the first time that I can recall, Deep Discount DVD
has not sent a second "confirmation" e-mail after
the initial, automatically generated one. (It has been
about thirty-eight hours since the intial order, meaning
they are sixteen hours later than they ever say they are
at generating an "real" order number.)
And I am antsy about getting Playtime and
Mon Oncle.
So I ordered them (new) from those secondary vendors over
at amazon.com for aproximately $22 and $25 respectivly
(that includs shipping). So now I may end up with two of
each of those.
If that is the case,
(I'll know for sure by August 6),
I'll post that info in here, and anyone who really wants
a copy of either can have it (them) for the same
price I paid.
(Just as an FYI: the few times I have used secondary
vendors over at www.amazon.com I have had zero complaints.)
Mark

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Last time I used one of those 'secondary' vendors for a recent OOP title they canceled the order. Probably so they could list it on ebay.

Tanner

Stunt Coordinator
I managed to get Playtime and Mr Hulot's Holiday from DeepDiscountDVD. I ordered Mon Oncle too, but it did not ship with Playtime and Mr Hulot's Holiday. I called them and according to the rep I spoke to, DeepDiscount is out of Mon Onlce, even though the website does not indicate that. I ended up ordering it from BarnesandNoble.com. They say it is in stock and will ship in 2-3 days. Good luck to anyone who is looking for them online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks