What's new

3 channel stereo music processor (1 Viewer)

elvisnixon

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Edmon
I have 3 identical Tekton S-Lores for my LCR. What is the best (most flexible?) way to process two channel stereo music to originate the center channel signal for listening without the rear surrounds. I know everyone says to listen to two channels. But my set up is strange thanks to my wife's mandatory furniture arrangement. At this point for digital manipulation for a center channel I am using my Marantz receiver. I am considering a Harman Signature Citation 7.0 analogue processor as an improvement. Dose anyone have a comment on this or a alternative that is not crazy expensive?

K

Kevin Collins

Are you not happy with the Marantz processing of two channel to three channel?

If you are listening to music, I am not sure why you want a center channel. If you have your speakers setup correctly, then you never sense imaging from the L/R speaker. However, you mentioned that your wife has some furniture issues and that probably restricts you from having your L/R speakers in an optimum position.

I'm not sure why you are looking to upgrade or using something else if you have a solution now. Buying a different processor isn't going to compensate for speaker placement.

elvisnixon

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas Edmon
I don't buy the two speaker argument. Live music comes from multiple sources. Just because L/R stereo can create a seamless 3D sound stage does not mean that a L/C/R stereo can not make a better sound stage. My compromised room deflects the left and right channel sound differently. If I want to listen to perfect L/R I will put on some headphones. I find my matched center speaker is good at anchoring the sound stage and DOSE HELP COMPENSATE for the room. Sometimes the Marantz SR8500 I am using is excellent with the center channel sometimes if seems a little off. I am only trying to find the best solution for the center channel and want to make sure i am not overlooking a better solution. The logical conclusion to your argument is for me to go to a MONO system as that would have the "optimum placement" for my situation. I am still also experimenting with L/R stereo via equalization as a solution because I always keep an open mind. I am just looking for practical constructive suggestions from peoples experience.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only thing I could possibly suggest...
Try finding an AVR from the "infancy" of center speaker itself. Back then, some AVR had "3 channel stereo" to take advantage of that. Even if you had your 5/6.1 set up, 3 channel would only use the front three.
A receiver(from the era, that I think included 3 channel...and I had one, stupidly sold it) to look for would be the Technics SA-DA10N.
Have no idea how "old" you are...but Technics was one of the big contributors toward Quadraphonic. When Dolby came out, Technics receivers of the 80s and early 90s(when Matsushita still cared) took advantage of 3 channel.
Matter of fact, here is one. As good as a 10N? Have no idea...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Technics-SA-AX730-Surround-5-1-Receiver-/221120421710?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item337bcddf4e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SA-DX940-5-1-Channel-500-Watt-Receiver-SA-DX940-Home-Theater-Receiver-/150892457964?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item2321e42fec (AX are analog only, DX are digital. This one has Dolby 3 channel, but no remote)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks