What's new

3 channel amps (Parasound/Anthem/or Acurus) (1 Viewer)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I am looking for a 3 channel amp to finish off my 7.1 setup.. Right now I have a Lexicon dc-1 with Paradigm studio 40's in the front and 2 pairs of studio 20's for the sides and surrounds. I have 2 (200w x2) Cinepro amps powering the 40's in the front and the 20's on the side. I need this amp to power my center and surrounds, I was looking at the Acurus 200x3, the Parasound 200x3 and the Anthem MCA 3. Don't want to spend over $1300 CDN. I would have to ship the Parasound or Acurus(used around $700) from down in the States.. I could get the MCA 3 locally brand new for about $1200 but have no experiences with Anthem.. Any opinions?

Thanks guys,

Craig

Tan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

I have 2 Parasound HCA-2003A and I love them. Very powerful amps! Un-clippable! They are built like Tanks. 55 pounds each. They are also very very quite.

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
You might also consider the Rotel RB993, which was discontinued a couple years ago. It is rated at 200 watts X 3. It received a positive review in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater in November 1998. (The review is accessible on rotel.com if you are interested.)

I purchased a Rotel RB993 used for $700 and have been very pleased.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I forgot all about that one, yes I like Rotel and I will keep my eyes open for one of those too. Thanks for reminding me.

Craig

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
Out of curiousity....how do you like having 2 pairs of 20's as surrounds? I have 40's up front, 20's as backs and want to add either 20's or the ADP's.

Thanks!

Ed

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I like having the 20's as surrounds, directs just sound right.. I don't want to open a whole can of worms but to me, I don't like the sound being 'difused'..

Craig

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Craig, theres somebody on audiogon selling two parasound 2003 amps right now for 700.00 each..very good deal. These are fine amps that have good specs. I had the rotel 993 and now a parasound 2205, I prefer the parasound which seems to mate better with my nht 2.9s which are simalar to paradigms in that there revealing and ever so slightly bright speakers.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
John,

I tried emailing that guy and he never got back to me.. I thought that was quite a deal.. I will try him again, thanks for the heads up!

Craig

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I personally don't think you can lose with any of them. They are all very fine amps.

But, I would think that you should definately be able to find a used Acurus A200x3 for cheaper than $700.

I got 2 brand new ones for around that price about 4 months ago. (6.1 system.) Very excellent amps. Audio did a review a while back on the *older* 200x3, where they measured 350W into 8 ohms, and 550W into 4 ohms. 1995-ish.

Acurus/Mondial Designs has fantastic customer support too. Which is being continued in their new relationship with Klipsch.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

That's what im starting to think.. Whatever comes up first I will probably scoop. Any leads on the Acurus? did you just buy it off ebay?

Joe e h

Stunt Coordinator
I to am interested in the Anthem products. I am in the states, but only 45 minutes from Sarnia Ontario. The exchange is a big incentative.

I am most interested on how the Anthem amps compare to the Rotel amps. At this time I am 90% sold on the RMB-1095,but am always open.

As for Acurus amps there are some good deals on ones over at Avalon Audio Video.

Joe

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Joe,

yes I wish I made money in USD, hehe! I might give the Anthem a shot, it would be nice to buy new, avoid shipping and have a warranty.. The Parasound sure looks like a monster, though.. I emailed Avalon and he told me the Acurus was $1000 USD..

Craig

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen people looking for amps from Avalon Audio / Video before. I live about 1 hour from them but have never been there. Why do people seem to favor Avalon Audio / Video? Is it their pricing?

Thanks!

Ed

JackM

Auditioning
I recently bought an Acurus A200x3 on ebay ($560) to power the front three channels of my home theater. I have a Denon 3801 and have built the Audax Home Theater speakers. The difference the Acurus makes is unbelievable. Very clean and natural. I have the bass cranked up a bit for home theater (not using a sub now: trying to solve the 3801 -> Crown K2 voltage problem for my HE-15 sub) and thus the front three channels are carrying more of a load. The amp is effortless.

Watch on ebay. Last year, there were closeouts in the $600-700 range on this amp, and I believe that the resale prices are artificially lower than they should be. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jack, I definately have my eyes open.. Does it ever suck to have a brand new studio-cc without an amp to power it.. What a difference I notice when I set center to "none" and just use my front 2 speakers... I miss my center.

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks