3 channel amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Barefoot, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

I have a DA5ES with Klipsch RS all around and an SVS PCi sub. I am interested in a 3 channel amp, ~200 wpc, to drive my mains and center. I would use the DA5ES to run the side and rear surrounds. I would be willing to spend about $1000. Any recommendations. I like the looks of the Parasound but haven't heard one. And what can I expect the difference to be compared with my current set up? Will a "warm" amp take the edge off of what are considered to be bright speakers and receiver?

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

in the $1000 price range...you certainly have a lot of choices. actually, you could get the 5 channel acurus a200x5 for less than $1000 on ebay right now (not my auction). i'm sure you can find a 3 channel acurus for less than $800 or so. of course, check out ubid for the acurus, aragon, and parasound deals they occassionaly have. also, check audiogon. i can't comment on the klipsch / parasound combo as i've never owned either. i have demoed klipsch in the past but was turned off by the shrill highs. the acurus / aragon amps aren't really warm at all...some have termed them bright but i've found they're actually very neutral. good luck...there's a lot out there in that price range.

kevin t

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Joe,
    I bought the Parasound due to what I perceive as a rather anemic power supply to my Onkyo receiver. It did wonders for my system. My Klipsch Reference speakers never sounded better. The Parasound is definitely warmer to my ears than the Onkyo. And, to top it off, I paid only $649 for the 5 channel 1205A (140 watts per channel X's 5 with all channels being driven)at Ubid.com. Others found theirs there for cheaper than that.

4. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Try to find a Parasound2003(200x3) on ebay. I bought mine for $500.