What's new

3 calibration discs, 3 different sets of results! (1 Viewer)

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
I was playing around with my system yesterday and I ran a speaker level check using the internal tones from my yamaha amp, the center was up by 6db and the surrounds down 2db from the mains. Last time I calibrated the system I used the Ultimate DVD platinum so I popped that in and ran the test again, all speakers were level matched. I know that it is better to use a disc to set levels rather than the receivers internal tones so I left the setting as is and started playing around with the TPM DVD. I got into the THX optimizer and ran the test tones again, the results this time the center -2db and the rears at +2db from the mains (There is a note on this screen that says the tones are not intended for speaker level matching). I then popped in a third setup disc, one that I got for free with a DVD mag, this time the center was +1db and the surrounds +1db.

Im thinking that this is being caused (mastering errors aside) by certain frequencies in the test signals being excited by room acoustics, as all the tones seem to be in a different freq range from each other. So it seems the only way to do a true calibration is to first get a flat frequency response from all speakers using equalization and then calibrate using a setup disc(s) - all three DVDs should then give the same results.

Sounds like a pain in the arse! So much for speaker calibration being a five minute job.

Harry.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Well, if you want to hear something even more bizarre... My brother has the Avia disc and it looks silver. I have the Avia disc and it looks gold (and the two cases have different types of hubs). If I put in his Avia disc and calibrate with it, then put in my copy of Avia for comparison, my copy produces a +2db difference in the surrounds. We're talking tripod mounted SPL meter, nothing moved or changed. I really can't figure it out! But calibrating with my brother's copy yields the same results as the internal tones on my receiver, so that's the one I'm trusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks