3 amps,what do I plug them into?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

In the last 5 months I've added a seperate amp to power my SVS,and now a 5 channel to run thru my Denon receiver.I'm now going to pick up a 2 channel Parasound for my mains when I move to 7.1 when my Outlaw 950 shows up.My question is:what do I plug all of these into? I seem to be getting by with just a regular power bar right now,but with another amp on the way,I can't see this working.Any input would be a big help.

Thanks Wayner

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Can't help you Wayne, except to say that yours is no "basic" question! [​IMG] I think on the receivers/separates/amps forum you'll get an answer.

3. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Wayne,

Sounds like it might be time to begin exploring dedicated powerlines. I think you may have a pretty heavy current draw with all that gear when you fire everything up and play it loud.

Mike

4. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

I'd agree, but keep in mind that I'm not taking my own advice (yet). I currently have my whole system on the same 15 amp circuit. I have blown the circuit (tripped the breaker, that is) twice, which is not good. I fully intend to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit this summer for my amps (Sampson for SVS and Krell 5-ch for the rest).

As far as power-strips / line conditioners go, the Krell Manual says to avoid them (I don't know why, to be honest). Ideally I would run a four outlet uh... outlet from a dedicated circuit for your amps. The rest of your components can use your existing circuit, from a good surge-protected strip (I use a modest Monster).

Hope this helps.

5. Wayne McRae

Thanks for your help guys.I'm going to contact a buddy of mine that's a electrician and get a new circuit put in.I'd do it myself,but I'm not into the Don King look :b

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

On a side note, you shouldn't have 2 different brands of amps for your mains and centre, your front soundtage will be different. You want the same amps for your 2 fronts and the centre!

8. Wayne McRae

James,I've already solved this problem.I'm getting a 3x125 B&K for the front tomorrow.Adding this to my 5 channel Adcom I'm ready for 8.1[​IMG]
    Wayner

9. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jeff,

The problem is that many “conditioners” can limit the current a high-powered amp demands.

Actually, Krell is not the only manufacturer that advises plugging into the wall directly. In all honestly, there are probably a number of conditioners that perform well with amplifiers. But I doubt an amplifier manufacturer wants to waste resources testing all these products to see which ones are “approved,” only to have something new out next year or risk a conditioner manufacturer deciding to reduce the capabilities of a particular model. Instead of playing that game many amplifier manufacturers just make sure their power supplies are robust and clean enough to effectively render conditioners redundant.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. FrankD

FrankD Stunt Coordinator

Under regular load your system probably is not drawing more than say 6 to 9 amps of power and this would be at reference level (75 dB). The biggest problem is at turn on when your amp (usually) takes a huge amount of power of say 11 amps or more depending on the design. Well if other things on the same breaker take power too, say another amp at the same time then your breaker will trip. Turning power hungry items on sequentially will prevent this and as long as your draw is say not more then 12 amps continuous for 1.5 hours on a 15 amp breaker then you are OK. Most systems are OK on a 15 amp circuit. However the best way is to run an amp meter on each individual item and then during a demanding seen, on the whole system, and see what the draw is. I did this on my system and at reference levels the draw was about 9 amps during a very demanding seen. But I discovered that my transducer, the butt kicker 2, was sucking up about 3 amps all on its own! I also discovered that my ATI 1506 150 watt per channel for six channels was only drawing 1.2 amps during demanding scenes but was actually drawing 11 amps on turn on for about 1 second!