What's new

3/8" or 1/2" spikes on my speaker stands? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'm building a set of stands for my Axiom M22ti bookshelves.

The stands are (will be) 24" tall. I have "normal" carpet and padding. Nothing shag-ruggish or anything like that.

I don't know which spikes I should use though. Why the difference in diameter? To compensate for heavier stands and speakers? :confused:

The 1/2"

or the

3/8" set

Any ideas?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the size of the hole at the bottom. Hope you don't have nice floors underneath.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Size of the hole on the bottom plate of the stands? There's no holes yet, as I haven't built the stands yet. :) I can drill whatever size hole is necessary. But I can't figure out what size hole IS necessary b/c I don't know what size spike is necessary.

My head hurts. ;)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Call who? :confused: PartsExpress? What's the lady/guy that takes phone orders going to know about spike size? :confused:x2

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Mike, they've got some technical people who might have specific insight. For example, I once required some details on some cables that they were selling. I received a prompt and detailed answer about their construction.
I imagine the answer to your question depends in part on the speaker weight and possibly the bottom construction. It would seem to me that whatever answer you get, you should contact the manufacturer of your speaker to make sure drilling a hole won't compromise your speaker in any way.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
OK, thanks Chu. :)

The spikes will be mounted to the stand itself, not the speaker, but I can see where the size of the spike would be related to the weight of the speaker, etc. I'll shoot them an email.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I've used those same 3/8" spikes before on stands to hold like sized speakers. They worked out just fine. Plus the 1/2" are more $.

-Dave

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Dave! :emoji_thumbsup: Yeah, I noticed the price discrepancy too. They are 3x the price! What's up with that? :confused:

3/8s it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks