3.33 Aspect Ratio??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobH, Aug 4, 2002.

1. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

I just got the DVD of The Great Escape and it appears to be much wider than it should be (3.33:1). It's listed as 2.35:1 in the OMDB. I am using a Panasonic RP56 (progressive scan) on a Mits 46in 16x9 TV. This set has the capability of stretching vertically but that still only gets about 2.8:1. What's going on??

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The transfer is faulty of THE GREAT ESCAPE, nothing you do with your equipment will make it the correct 2.35:1 ratio.

First, it's not an anamorphic transfer - so make sure your Mits isn't locking on "full" with this DVD from your progressive Panasonic player (many HDTV's lock on "full" with a progressive signal). You should have it set to standard "zoom" - or whatever Mitsubishi calls the mode for non-anamorphic discs.

Second, the transfer is incorrect because it shows a good deal of extra imagery on the left hand side that was not meant to be seen, which makes the result off-center and way too wide. Apparently, they used a negative that uncovered picture area that is meant to be hidden by the film print soundtrack.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The Great Escape is improperly framed, but the reason you are getting a picture that is far too wide is because it is not an anamorphic transfer. I have a Mits 46", and non-anamorphic widescreen movies should be watched in "Expand" mode. The "standard" mode is for anamorphic widescreen movies. If you are getting a picture that is framed at 3.33:1, you must be in "Standard" mode.

4. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

How does MGM put out such a faulty product? I can imagine the whiners that don't like "them black bars on top and bottom" going nuts with this one!

Ok, thanks guys. So putting the Mits on "expand" for non-anamorphic and just ignoring the left side works.