What's new

3/$25 on all titles is back at Hollywood Video! (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Last time this ran, Chicago locations seemed to skip the sale.

As such, I was glad to see the 3/$25 banner hanging on my HV.

Picked up: Saw, Collateral, Open Water, The Terminal, The Village, and Harold & Kumar.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Some tips on buying rentals:

HV has mostly switched to clunky, locking rental cases.

These aren't fit for display on my racks, probably not yours either.

If you look carefully, you may find some shrink-wrapped (keepcase) copies mixed in on the shelves.

Was able to get all 6 movies in keepcases.

Also, open all rentals at point of purchase and immediately exchange any iffy discs.

Terminal was badly cracked and Open Water was slightly cracked.

Village had a worrisome-looking scratch that would probably not imped play, but would limit my possible resale.

Exchanged all three on the spot and got great looking copies in return.

Clerk was a bit annoyed that I wanted to keep the cases and only exchange the discs, but he'll live.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Hey Frank, That is the way I do it also except I don't worry about the case since I got a large supply of cases from BBV. I look at the disc and cover art to make sure they are in good condition.

I will have to stop by HV again since they did not have this going on over the weekend.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Cases have devloped into some kind of currency for me.

I don't want to buy new cases and never have.

I dump off my worst cases with trade-ins and then redistribute the good ones to generate more slack.

At any given time, I only have about 6 spare cases.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Were they being strict about buying in multiples of 3? They used to let you buy any number greater than 3, but last time, they refused to honor the $8.33 price when I tried to buy 5 discs! (You can be sure that I bought 3, not 6 after that.)

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I always forget to ask about that.

Too bad, because I was thinking about getting 'Ray' but didn't want to get another set of three.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Any idea how long this will run? At one time it seemed to be forever, but at others only a couple weeks. I ask because a purchase wouldn't fit into my budget this month but maybe next...

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Who knows, buy what you like and sell off the rest.

I haven't bought a new release since 'Die Another Day'.

Just found out there's a 2-disc 'Terminal', bummer.

Alfie was just OK, but the Mick Jagger music and good extras pushed it over the top.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

For mainstream titles, I generally only buy those separate special editions that won't show up at Hollywood (like Phantom and Life Aquatic, which I got yesterday). Everything else, I wait for the previes. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As far as the cases go, I no longer hassle with them. Instead, you can get 100 cases for around $25 delivered from places like Supermediastore and Meritline. I just sprung for the measly $25 and now I will probably never have to fuss over cases again, or at least not for years.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nice, never knew that.

I don't fret over the apparence of my DVDs (don't even bother removing the stickers) but for that price, I might.

--
H

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The sale is back. Including the 3/$25 deal there is also 4/$20 and 2/$10. This time I just jotted down ones that interested me rather than try to decide in the store, which usually takes too long. Here are the ones I'm considering (ones with stars would be blind buys, which I've sworn off doing but I've heard decent things about them):

3/$25
Constantine
Million Dollar Baby
House of Flying Daggers
The Aviator
Closer
Finding Neverland
Wimbledon*
Ghost in the Shell 2
Beyond the Sea*
In Good Company*
Suspect Zero*
The Butterfly Effect

4/$20
Before Sunset*
Baaadasss
Danny Deckchair*
De-Lovely*
A Mighty Wind
Ripley's Game
The Cooler
Ulee's Gold
Talk to Her*

There weren't that many 2/$10 discs I wanted so I actually purchased Cherish and About Schmidt. Others that caught my eye were Spider*, Laurel Canyon* and Killing Me Softly (:D).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Regarding some of the titles you are considering blind buys on...

In Good Company is a rather ordinary movie, in a way, but it's also very sweet. Scarlett Johansson is already set as a big star, but I think Topher Grace has a real future as well.

Talk to Her is very European, but also just a great film.

Spider is also outstanding, though a decidedly weird film.

Killing Me Softly better be the UR version.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
LOL. Good point. And thanks for the input! I actually have In Good Company from Netflix, so we'll see whether it passes the test.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"I dump off my worst cases with trade-ins and then redistribute the good ones to generate more slack."

I thought I was the only one that did that, i.e. putting the DVDs I trade in inside the rentals cases. Sometimes I get weird looks from the cashiers takinf the trade-ins. They say "All these are rentals?" like it's a bad thing and then I reply "Nope, just the cases." Then I REALLY get strange looks. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is anal.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
Just the other day I knocked out "Hide and Seek", "White Noise", and "The Jacket" for $25. Some great, underrated films for an unbeatable price.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Watched In Good Company last night. I don't feel a need to own it. I was a bit let down by the ending, but I think I may have been expecting a very different movie. Looks like I'll just be getting the first six on my list.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't want to go too far off topic, but are anyone elses stores participating in the trade in program they've initiated? Those are eligible for the 3/$25, as well, and figured there were some nice picks to be had.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having lived in "Corporate Hell" myself, I thought the ending was pretty nice. I realize it can seem like a let down, but I found it to be a refreshing change from the typical "Hollywood" ending. A nice little bit of reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks