3:2 pulldown , TVs, and progressive scan DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AdamP, Feb 12, 2003.

1. AdamP

AdamP Auditioning

Ok, I don't know very much about all this but I have a few questions.

1) Do you need a TV that has 3:2 pulldown if your DVD player has it?

2) Does 3:2 pulldown matter in anything except DVDs? (cable TV, etc.)

3) Do DVD players come with 3:2 pulldown?

I was looking at a HDTV when I realized it didn't have 3:2 pulldown and it sounded pretty important. What's the scoop?

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    1. No, unless you have other film-based sources, eg. LD player, that you want to apply 3:2 pulldown on the TV.

2. Yes. Typically, any film-based source that preserves the 3:2 pulldown from the film-to-video process would benefit from reversed 3:2 pulldown, which is the actual/correct term for process. In laymen's terms, just think of this as a method for more accurate presentation of the original film content for the large majority of film-based movies. As mentioned, reversed 3:2 pulldown is useful for LDs. It's unclear to me how useful it would be for cable/sat/ota broadcasts of movies since the video signal that reaches your TV may not preserve the 3:2 pulldown at all. For broadcasts of regular TV programming, the answer would almost certainly be no. Interlaced video-based content needs different kind of linedoubling/deinterlacing for good results--yes, reversed 3:2 pulldown is a method for deinterlacing video specifically for film-based content.

3. Yes, although not all are equally good at doing it. It is possible that the TV can do it better.

Basically, if your source component for movies will not do 3:2 pulldown, then it's important for the TV to do it.

If you want to learn more about 3:2 pulldown and how it relates to actual DVD players, check here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

_Man_

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

4. AdamP

AdamP Auditioning

So.... a TV that does 3:2 pulldown is probably my best bet?

Do TVs come with reverse 3:2 pulldown?

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit