What's new

3:2 pulldown , TVs, and progressive scan DVD (1 Viewer)

AdamP

Auditioning
Ok, I don't know very much about all this but I have a few questions.

1) Do you need a TV that has 3:2 pulldown if your DVD player has it?

2) Does 3:2 pulldown matter in anything except DVDs? (cable TV, etc.)

3) Do DVD players come with 3:2 pulldown?

I was looking at a HDTV when I realized it didn't have 3:2 pulldown and it sounded pretty important. What's the scoop?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
1. No, unless you have other film-based sources, eg. LD player, that you want to apply 3:2 pulldown on the TV.

2. Yes. Typically, any film-based source that preserves the 3:2 pulldown from the film-to-video process would benefit from reversed 3:2 pulldown, which is the actual/correct term for process. In laymen's terms, just think of this as a method for more accurate presentation of the original film content for the large majority of film-based movies. As mentioned, reversed 3:2 pulldown is useful for LDs. It's unclear to me how useful it would be for cable/sat/ota broadcasts of movies since the video signal that reaches your TV may not preserve the 3:2 pulldown at all. For broadcasts of regular TV programming, the answer would almost certainly be no. Interlaced video-based content needs different kind of linedoubling/deinterlacing for good results--yes, reversed 3:2 pulldown is a method for deinterlacing video specifically for film-based content.

3. Yes, although not all are equally good at doing it. It is possible that the TV can do it better.

Basically, if your source component for movies will not do 3:2 pulldown, then it's important for the TV to do it.

If you want to learn more about 3:2 pulldown and how it relates to actual DVD players, check here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

_Man_

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
...For broadcasts of regular TV programming, the answer would almost certainly be no.
That's incorrect, for the simple reason that a lot of broadcast TV begins its life on film. I am not talking about the occassional movie of the week here, but your everyday sitcoms and dramas. Nearly all of them are filmed, then converted to video. Having 3/2 pulldown is of great benefit when watching most broadcast TV. The notable exceptions are anything broadcast live... the News, sporting events, etc., which are all sent in native 60 field/s format. This requires completely different deinterlacing if it is going to be scaled and/or displayed on a progressive display set.

AdamP

Auditioning
So.... a TV that does 3:2 pulldown is probably my best bet?

Do TVs come with reverse 3:2 pulldown?

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Do TVs come with reverse 3:2 pulldown?
Technically, it is "reverse 3:2 pulldown", not just "3:2 pulldown". The latter is the process used to put 24 fps film material into the 60 field/s NTSC rate.

Note that you may also see the term "telecine" (short for television-cinema). "Reverse 3:2 pulldown" is equivalent to "Inverse Telecine".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks