3:2 pulldown TV sets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisP, Dec 4, 2001.

1. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

Can someone explain whether a HDTV set with a 3:2 pulldown feature requires a progressive scan DVD player (with 3:2) to display those film-like images attributed to progressive scan?

I talked to a friend that told me the use of a progressive scan DVD player (with 3:2) with a HDTV with the 3:2 pulldown is a waste of money...the TV does the same thing the player does.

Thanks to those who answer.

2. Fernando Chen

Fernando Chen Auditioning

3:2 pulldown on your tv is good for broadcast tv showing sources that originated from film. But for dvds, its still better to have the 3:2 linedoubling occur in the dvd player since it can be done in the digital domain.

If you let your tv do the 3:2 pulldown for your dvds you add an additional signal degrading step towards producing the progressive image. With a regular interlaced dvd player, the dvd is converted from digital to an analog interlaced signal which then is sent to the 3:2 pulldown unit in the tv which then reconverts it back to a digital signal with some loss of detail and then performs the 3:2 pulldown from which it outputs to the tv. Basically, if you let the tv do the 3:2 pulldown, the tv works with a more degraded image to process after the data comes through d/a conversion.

A progressive dvdplayer will linedouble via 3:2 pulldown the dvd while its in its original digital state and the output a analog progressive image to your tv once. Hope this helps assuming I make sense.

Fernando Chen

3. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

The internal doubler on many of the latest HD ready sets perform almost as well on DVD as a progressive DVD player. But the best progressive DVD still offer the best deinterlacing. Don't expect a revolution: if the set is properly calibrated (you may have to recalibrate for progressive as opposed to interlaced) the only improvement will be an increase in resolution (possibly) and a reduction in artifacts. On the latter, the difference will be only occasional. Much of the time there may be no difference at all. But on certain types of material -- closely spaced lines often cause problems -- the internal deinterlacers on TVs can fail dramatically.

So I wouldn't feel compelled to rush out and get a progressive DVD player. But if you were going to get a new DVD player anyway, then yes you should get progressive.

4. Fernando Chen

Fernando Chen Auditioning

I agree. Its not a requirement that you get a progressive scan dvd player for your hdtv if you already have a player, but if your gonna get a dvd player in the future anyway you may seriously want to consider a progressive scan player. There is a difference with a progressive scan player and it will have an advantage from skipping an additional d/a conversion step, but its not going to be day and night and will vary with content especially with the newer HDTVs.

Fernando Chen