3:2 pulldown mode

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Todd Rozelle, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Todd Rozelle

Todd Rozelle Auditioning

I am going to buy an analog 36" TV. If I use a progressive scan DVD player do I need a TV that has the 3:2 pulldown feature?
    thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What "analog 36" TV" offers such a feature? In any case, keep in mind that DVD isn't the only thing you'll be watching. A TV with line-doubling circuitry and/or 3:2 pulldown detection will apply it to other sources as well: broadcast, VHS, laserdisc, etc.

M.

3. Todd Rozelle

Todd Rozelle Auditioning

I've misunderstood the terminology. The feature I was looking at is described as auto 16:9 (Toshiba). Sorry

4. Phil Monty

Phil Monty Auditioning

I have a backwards question. If I get a t.v. with 3:2 pulldown (looking at the Sony 51" "510" model), do I need a dvd player with progressive scan out? My current DVD player (Sony) has component outs, but is not progressive scan.

My understanding is that unless I am willing to get an expensive DVD player with a special chip, the T.V. will handle the de-interlacing and there is no need to spend another $89 on a prog player . . . am I getting this correct?

Thanks,

Phil

5. John S

John S Producer

If you are happy with your current player on it, then there would be no reason to upgrade.

I just recently did this, and I have ended up using the older non-progressive scan player and letting the TV perform the progressive scan.

So the answer is... Maybe, maybe not...

6. Phil Monty

Phil Monty Auditioning

__________________________________________________ _
    In reply to:

So the answer is... Maybe, maybe not...

__________________________________________________ __

LOL, John. As an attorney, I provide that answer alot . . .

Phil

Thanks for the response.

7. John S

John S Producer

And many people hate it when that is the honest answer too. :)

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

todd, i'm not sure, but i think on the toshiba 36" sdtv, the 16x9 thing is the same as what most people call the "anamorphic squeeze". but i'm not positive...

anyway, here is a link for more info on that type of feature:

http://gregl.net/videophile/16x9on4x3.htm

9. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The HDTV ready TV uses its de-interlacing with or without 3/2 pulldown sensing and optimizing only when the progressive DVD player is set to interlaced mode or when some other interlaced material is input. You would not need to run out and buy a progressive player.

The TV's de-interlacing may or may not give a better picture than the DVD player in progressive mode, I have no data on which brands are better.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidprog.htm

(TV sets that don't accept "480p" do not have 3-2 pulldown sensing and optimizing circuits and they require that a progressive DVD player be set to interlaced mode which in turn causes the player to not use its 3-2 pulldown circuits.)

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ted, a 16:9 mode is the same thing as a "squeeze" mode, though there's nothing "anamorphic" about it. But the 16:9 mode is intended for DVDs that are called "anamorphic" (i.e., the more accurate term would be "16:9-encoded").

The display is question is not 480p-capable, however, so the issue is moot, vis. 2:3 pulldown. And, I might add, it's really kind of hard, in 2004, to justify purchasing a big, NTSC-only direct-view set. May as well go with the new technology.