What's new

3:2 pulldown mode (1 Viewer)

Todd Rozelle

Auditioning
I am going to buy an analog 36" TV. If I use a progressive scan DVD player do I need a TV that has the 3:2 pulldown feature?
thanks

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

What "analog 36" TV" offers such a feature? In any case, keep in mind that DVD isn't the only thing you'll be watching. A TV with line-doubling circuitry and/or 3:2 pulldown detection will apply it to other sources as well: broadcast, VHS, laserdisc, etc.

M.

Phil Monty

Auditioning
I have a backwards question. If I get a t.v. with 3:2 pulldown (looking at the Sony 51" "510" model), do I need a dvd player with progressive scan out? My current DVD player (Sony) has component outs, but is not progressive scan.

My understanding is that unless I am willing to get an expensive DVD player with a special chip, the T.V. will handle the de-interlacing and there is no need to spend another $89 on a prog player . . . am I getting this correct?

Thanks,

Phil

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you are happy with your current player on it, then there would be no reason to upgrade.

I just recently did this, and I have ended up using the older non-progressive scan player and letting the TV perform the progressive scan.

So the answer is... Maybe, maybe not...

Phil Monty

Auditioning
__________________________________________________ _
In reply to:

So the answer is... Maybe, maybe not...

__________________________________________________ __

LOL, John. As an attorney, I provide that answer alot . . .

Phil

Thanks for the response.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The HDTV ready TV uses its de-interlacing with or without 3/2 pulldown sensing and optimizing only when the progressive DVD player is set to interlaced mode or when some other interlaced material is input. You would not need to run out and buy a progressive player.

The TV's de-interlacing may or may not give a better picture than the DVD player in progressive mode, I have no data on which brands are better.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidprog.htm

(TV sets that don't accept "480p" do not have 3-2 pulldown sensing and optimizing circuits and they require that a progressive DVD player be set to interlaced mode which in turn causes the player to not use its 3-2 pulldown circuits.)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ted, a 16:9 mode is the same thing as a "squeeze" mode, though there's nothing "anamorphic" about it. But the 16:9 mode is intended for DVDs that are called "anamorphic" (i.e., the more accurate term would be "16:9-encoded").

The display is question is not 480p-capable, however, so the issue is moot, vis. 2:3 pulldown. And, I might add, it's really kind of hard, in 2004, to justify purchasing a big, NTSC-only direct-view set. May as well go with the new technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks