3:2 Pulldown Incorporated Into Toshiba Sets After 1/21/2001

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, May 12, 2001.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

"Respect my authoritah!" [​IMG]
    I just realized that an e-mail I sent to Gary Merson at The Perfect Vision a few months ago is printed in the May/June issue (he actually replied to my e-mail personally which was a kick). The letter called into question Toshiba's claim that the new line of RPTVs incorporated 3:2 pulldown detection for inverse telecine. Frequent readers of this forum should remember the debates here regarding this issue. Mr. Merson replies...

2. Michael St. Clair

3. Jim Kirkman

Jim Kirkman Agent

I am also waiting to hear if anyone has confirmed this. My 40H80 was manufactured in Dec. 2000. Using Star Trek Insurrection it is apparent that it does not use 3:2 pulldown detection (or if it does, not very well). There is a very obvious difference between using the TV's internal doubler and the progressive output on my SD6200.
    Perhaps I will take my copy of Star Trek to my local shop and see If there is any difference.
    Jim

4. Scott Galaba

Scott Galaba Auditioning

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. Scott Galaba

Scott Galaba Auditioning

7. mike_reid

mike_reid Auditioning

After reading this thread, I ran to check the manufactured date on my 40H80. February 2001, so far so good!
    I then dusted off my Star Trek Insurrection DVD and watched the opening scene which is notorious for visible jaggies on the angled rooftops. The DNR setting on the TV was set to OFF, and the jaggies were very apparent.
    DVD player is a Panasonic A310 (no progressive scan)
    I then switched the DNR setting to AUTO and replayed the scene. Wow! No more jaggies or dot crawl on the angled roof top edges. I'd like to hear from someone who's TV was manufactured before January who has done the same experiment.
    Now I'm wondering what else the DNR circuit does. When I have it turned on while watching a non-HD Satellite feed, the picture seems to be more crisp, but I'm noticing a very subtle combing effect on scene changes, almost like you can see the line doubler at work in the first few frames.
    My wife doesn't even notice it, but I find it slightly annoying. Anyone know what is causing this? It disappears if I turn off DNR.

8. Scott Galaba

Scott Galaba Auditioning

9. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Mike,
    What satellite system are you using? Starchoice? I see the same combing effect during scene changes. The thing is, I see it on both my sets, a Sony 36XBR400, and the Toshiba 40H80. They are both line doubled sets, so I think the doublers are picking up some sort of artifact generated by the satellite's compression. That's just my guess.
    Oh, and yes, my 40H80 does have 3:2 pulldown. I just recieved it a few weeks ago, with a build date of March 2001 The one I had in Decemeber, didn't have this feature. I returned it and got the XBR400(which I'm keeping as well) instead, due to a few issues that I couldn't seem to resolve. I'm happy to say that the new 40H80 is much better that the old one, which had a build date of November 2000. Toshiba must have made some improvements(other than the 3:2 thing) since the initial production run.
    Marc.

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I am seriously considering getting a 40H80 (sat at Best Buy for over an hour yesterday watching regular broadcast material in 16:9 to see if I would be able to stand it. I would [​IMG]). How can I check the manufacturing date of it, and if the 2:3 pulldown works?
    Also, do you people use the stand (ST-4016) for it, do you use some other kind of stand (if so what), or do you have it on the floor?
    /Mike

11. mike_reid

mike_reid Auditioning

Marc,
    I have Bell ExpressVu, with the MOdel 6000 (HDTV) Receiver. I didn't notice the "combing" effect until I turned on the DNR feature to see if the 3:2 pulldown detection worked, so I suspect the DNR circuitry is either causing the effect, or slowing down the line doubler enough that it becomes noticable when you have a dramatic change between frames, such as switching to a different camera.
    Since having DNR on seems to improve the picture, even on regular NTSC feed, I'm learning to live with it.
    Mike

12. mike_reid

mike_reid Auditioning

The manufacture date (month only on mine) should be on the yellow sticker on the back of the set. Mine says February 2001 and appears to have the 3:2 pulldown detection.
    As for a stand, I would recommend it. I found the screen too low without the stand.
    I ordered a stand for the 40H80 from Toshiba in Canada and got a different one than the one Toshiba shows on their website. It is a swivel base that nicely matches the shape and color of the TV. It has no shelf like the ST-4016 on Toshiba's web site appears to. It raises the set about 8 inches, and I love the swivel beacuse my room shape sucks, and it lets me angle the screen more toward the couch if I have company, or dead on to my lazyboy if I'm alone.
    My dealer says the ST-4016 is not available in Canada and they use the swivel one instead. No complaints here.
    Mike