What's new

3:2 pulldown & film vs video (& CUE) (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I *think* I saw this fault in my player for the 1st time. (DV-47ai) Watching the 2nd disc of the Zeppelin Live DVD. Every so often, I'd see horizontal stripes in the picture. Sometimes taller, sometimes shorter, and sometimes they'd drift up and sometimes down, faster and slower. Seemed like frozen images were worse than with movement. And, the sort of cool thing was, I'd see it, and then it would disappear, as if the player "caught on" to what was happening, and compensated for it. But then the image would change, and it'd might or not be there again. Interlaced output seemed a little bit better than progressive, but both had it. (Component video to my TV.) Is that what I was seeing?

Also, I *think* I saw the chroma bug for the 1st time. (Seriously, I have avoided looking for it, because then I might see it all the time, and not be able to live with the player.) Jimmy Page's white pants, and in 1 particular scene, I caught "swatches" of red and blue, sort of next to each other but overlapping slightly too. Kind of like the white was "phase shifted" into the red and blue. Chroma bug?

Thanks!

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Sounds like combing to me, which is caused by a poor de-interlacer with video (not film) material. A Faroudja-based DVD player like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600 would do better with that type of material. Your other artifact might indeed by the chroma bug, but its easier to see with large red area next to a black area.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Cool. I knew it was something bad, but not exactly what to call it. At least I know what disc to use to test for it on my next player. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks