3:2 pulldown driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by David_J, Oct 30, 2003.

1. David_J

David_J Extra

This all seems so complicated. I bought an HDTV the other day and planned to buy a new progressive scan DVD to use with it. I currently have a non-progressive Panny A120. Just as I am doing some research and considering a purchase I am told by a friend that I might not need a progressive DVD in order to watch movies at their best quality because my TV might do the deinterlacing for me instead of having to buy a new DVD player. He said it had something to do with 3:2 pulldown, but after doing a google search I'm still confused as to what I need.

My TV is a Zenith C27V22 and you can see it's specs right here . I don't see anything about 3:2 pulldown and nothing about deinterlacing, but it does say something about ( HD READY - 1080i,480p/line doubler ). Can someone check out those specs and maybe set me straight.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The Zenith's internal line doubler may very well provide you with a good progressive-scan picture. But conventional wisdom is that a prog-scan DVD player generally does a better job at deinterlacing than do most displays.

There is nothing in the linked specifications for the Zenith direct-view set to indicate it does 2:3 pulldown correction. And, if it were my money, I'd get a good progressive-scan DVD player that has 2:3 pulldown circuitry.

3. David_J

David_J Extra

Thanks for the info Jack. So the "Line Doubler" in my TV technically does the same thing as a progressive scan DVD player (albeit maybe not as well)?

Is it safe to say that all progressive DVD players have a 3:2 pulldown? I've noticed that some mention it, while others don't. I'm looking at budget player like the JVC XV-N44SL and XV-N55SL. They are both progressive scan, but they make no mention of it in their specs. They list the following:

4. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

I would not worry too much about whether the DVD player is progressive scan or not. At 27 inches screen size I doubt if you will be able to tell the difference. DVD players do use different chips to produce the 2:3 pulldown with some better than others.

Theater position most likely refers to different color temps. but would not refer to 2:3 pulldown since that is either on or off. If the source material is video then there is no need for 2:3 pulldown. Source material that is filmed (at 24 fps) does need it to compensate for the scanning frequency of 30HZ.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

6. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

my jvc iart 36" HDTV has 3:2 pulldown, i am using a ps2 now with component inputs, is it worth buying a new progressive scan dvd player, like a nice panasonic one?

7. David_J

David_J Extra

Very good explanation my friend. It's greatly appreciated.

I guess that the progressive scan dvd player is the way to go. One question though. Since I haven't gotten the progressive DVD yet will my standard DVD automatically do this for me, or do I have to set somtthing up? When I hook my dvd player to the 1080i/480p HD component input on the back of my TV I get a message telling me to please hook up a compatible source to the input. But when I hook it up to the standard component input it works ok. However there is no way for my to tell weather it's actually doing the doubling. Or does it only do it on the HD port?

On another note, I went to my local adelphia cable office to pay my bill friday and asked about HD. They informed me that they have the boxes, but they are still writing some kind of code and it should be ready next week. I'll try it out and see how I like it. I'm not sure if it will be worth the extra money or how many stations they will have, but I'll try it out for a least a month.

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Your DVD player does NOT do progressive.

The HD input only accepts an HD signal(progressive scan DVD ETC) so that error message is really telling you the obvious .... hook up your current DVD player to a standard component input and the TV will do the Deinterlacing and 2/3 conversion internally.

When you get a Progressive scan DVD hook it up to the HD input.

Brent

9. seth_petry_john

If you really want to learn about 3:2 pulldown and progressive scan DVD players, there is a very interesting and very complete article on it over at Secrets Of Home Theater High Fidelity:

hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

It took me awhile to get through the whole article, but man was it worth it!

Regards,
    Seth

10. Nick-G

Nick-G Agent

Hey great thread!! I was a bit confused about 3:2 pulldown and progressive scan DVD players. I was also looking at the Zenith C27V22 and was wondering what you think of it??