What's new

3:2 Pull down? (1 Viewer)

Gord Ripley

Auditioning
Hope this is the correct area for this post. I'm in the process of buying a 16:9 TV with 3:2 pull down. I'm getting mixed stories from various salepersons on the need for a progressive scan DVD player, so I'd thought I ask the expects at the HTF.

So, do I need a progressive scan DVD player to use the 3:2 pull down feature of the TV?

Thanks!!

Gabor

Auditioning
The 3:2 pull-down circuit converts film based 480i into 480p. If you feed your TV with a 480p signal from a progressive scan DVD player, the 3:2 circuit in the TV will have nothing to do. In fact you should check if the TV locks into 'full' mode when it senses a 480p signal or lets you select different screen formats.(zoom, strech, etc) If it locks in, you will have to rely on your DVD player's abilities to re-format the screen and they are usually not very strong in that. If the 3:2 circuits are of the same quality in the DVD player and in the TV, you will probably get a better picture from a progressive scan DVD player than from an interlaced one because there is one less A/D -> D/A conversion in the signal path. On the other hand, the TV's 3:2 circuit may work wonders with 480i films from satellite or even a VCR.

Ed O

Agent
What is "Reverse 3:2 pulldown" on the Sony WEGA XBR line? The term "reverse" confuses me in this instance. Thanks.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It's the same thing, Ed. When someone says 3:2 pulldown we know what they mean even though it's called reverse 3:2 pulldown or inverse telecine.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks