3:2 Pull down?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gord Ripley, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Gord Ripley

Gord Ripley Auditioning

Hope this is the correct area for this post. I'm in the process of buying a 16:9 TV with 3:2 pull down. I'm getting mixed stories from various salepersons on the need for a progressive scan DVD player, so I'd thought I ask the expects at the HTF.

So, do I need a progressive scan DVD player to use the 3:2 pull down feature of the TV?

Thanks!!

2. Gabor

Gabor Auditioning

The 3:2 pull-down circuit converts film based 480i into 480p. If you feed your TV with a 480p signal from a progressive scan DVD player, the 3:2 circuit in the TV will have nothing to do. In fact you should check if the TV locks into 'full' mode when it senses a 480p signal or lets you select different screen formats.(zoom, strech, etc) If it locks in, you will have to rely on your DVD player's abilities to re-format the screen and they are usually not very strong in that. If the 3:2 circuits are of the same quality in the DVD player and in the TV, you will probably get a better picture from a progressive scan DVD player than from an interlaced one because there is one less A/D -> D/A conversion in the signal path. On the other hand, the TV's 3:2 circuit may work wonders with 480i films from satellite or even a VCR.

3. Ed O

Ed O Agent

What is "Reverse 3:2 pulldown" on the Sony WEGA XBR line? The term "reverse" confuses me in this instance. Thanks.

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It's the same thing, Ed. When someone says 3:2 pulldown we know what they mean even though it's called reverse 3:2 pulldown or inverse telecine.

DJ