3/13 NY Times Article on SACD/DVDA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanRogers, Mar 13, 2003.

1. RyanRogers

RyanRogers Auditioning

This was in today's NY Times. Lots of interesting info.

OK, SORRY ABOUT THAT.

DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ENTIRE ARTICLES FROM NEWSPAPERS OR MAGAZINES. WE PROHIBIT THE POSTING OF COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL AT HTF. PLEASE SUMMARIZE THE STORY AND/OR PROVIDE A LINK (OF COURSE, YOU HAVE TO REGISTER TO ACCESS THE NY TIMES SITE). CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATION IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Interesting article Ryan. Thanks for posting it. [​IMG]

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

4. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I agree that the mobile environment could be a big factor, but how many people that are serious about car audio use stock players in their cars? If you care enough about sound to want high-rez in your car, I would think that an after-market unit would be the way to go. As far I know, most stock head-units in cars do not have pre-outs to add better amps and speakers. The luxury car market(and the stereos included) can be a different market though.
    Sony should have already had a SACD head-unit avaiable by now. They should have at the very least made their decks compatible with hybrids. For a company with so much invested in SACD, they do seem to make a lot of poor decisions with it.

Regards
    KrisM

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Another Linkin Park dvd-audio eh? The kids over on the Linkin Park "Meteora" forum are talking about a rumored delay. Hmmmm.

Dvd-a surround music in cars--cool. Since Toyota usually installs audio gear made by Panasonic (my '86 Celica GT-S had a Technics system) I'm pretty sure dvd-audio will be their format of choice. Nissan? No idea, but their choice of Bose for hi-line audio system options makes me think they would also choose dvd-audio (dvd-a has a lot more rock/pop).

What I want to know is where are they going to put that darned center channel speaker? And, how GOOD will it be?

If you give them a chance, many car maker's sound systems sound very good these days. Especially Buick, Pontiac and Chrysler. To be honest, hi-res sound in any car will get lost in this acoustically-troublesome environment so I'm not worried about that. But surround sound should work very well.

LJ

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

But, in a car, does anyone have the "sweet spot"? Won't multichannel mixes always sound a bit off, particularly for the poor passenger with his ear against a speaker in the back seat?

I don't have a car, so it's not really an issue for me. But, even when I did, it was not the place for serious listening. Too much extraneous noise and a poor acoustical environment. I simply don't believe car audio will chart the future of hi-res music.

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  9. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Al,

He is correct, however. According to Stephen Best's site where he surveyed available SACDs for hybrid capability - most were hybrids.

11. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Will my Radio Shack Spl meter and Avia work in my car? [​IMG]

12. Michael St. Clair

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Michael St. Clair

My Best Buy SACD selection has doubled in the last month or so, but other than The Stones (which are in the CD section instead), I'd say 90% of the titles are single-layer only.

My store is very biased towards Sony releases...is this typical?

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee