3.1 virtual surround help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob_hhi, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Bob_hhi

Bob_hhi Auditioning

At the risk of being castigated by my home theatre commrades, can anyone advise on a decent 3.1 virtual surround system. I have a room that I simply cannot wire for rear channels, thereby relinquishing me to the depths of virtual surround. I do have a five year old Sony SS amplifier, however its virtual surround setting is not very good, at least through my Bose Acoustimas speakers. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve never heard of any of these things giving a convincing effect. You’d probably be better off just setting up the system for three front channels.

Since rear wiring is totally out of the question, you might check Radio Shack. I think they have a small system that does wireless rears. There is a transmitter that connects up front, and sends to a receiver/amplifier unit at the back. The amp does something like 25-50 watts. Not the best set-up in the world, but I think I’d prefer something like that to no rears at all.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I agree with Wayne. No amount of processing is going to give a convincing effect, especially outside of a very narrow "sweet spot". You have already experienced that with your virtual surround setting on your current receiver. If you really cannot wire for rear surrounds, then look into the RS wireless (ugh) or just hook it up with fronts and a sub and suffer.

By the way, have you considered ribbon wire for rears? It is extremely flat, can be stuck to a wall or baseboard and then painted to almost disappear.

4. Bob_hhi

Bob_hhi Auditioning

Thanks for your advice. I am using a custom installer for a home theater in another part of the house that recommended the flat wire for the rear speakers be placed under the carpet, so that may be an option. I may also check out the wireless idea, just to see how the rear channels sound. Thanks again.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi there. Please read the forum blurb descriptions as well as the advisory on the Basics-area main page (the font's in red). That area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for seeking specific purchasing advice. For general system recommendations, please post here in A/V Sources. Thank you.