1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

2x3's for walls?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Bergeron, Mar 14, 2002.

1. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

My new home has half the walls in the basement as 2x3's with insulation. Basically i'm sure the walls are built like that so that they hold the insulation that's the only reason. Is there a reason for me to tear those down and use 2x4's instead?

Is there a negative to leaving the 2x3 walls up and finish off the basement with matching 2x3? Or even just finish off with 2x4 anyway and keep the wall that are already done up?

2. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

Having built homes in western Canada I have not seen 2x3's used. Nevertheless the finish is up to you. I had a similair situation with our daylight basement. I finished the walls up in some areas and in others I put a MDF cap with trim for the transition. This allows you to use it as a book shelf or whatever. This especially should be done if there are windows on that wall. To even the walls out with the lower 2x3's when there is a window above creates sort of a tunnel effect for the window. I that look is okay then go for it. Remember you are the one that has to look at it. If you like it who cares?

3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Well it's just the outside facing walls in the basement. The rest is 2x4's. But I was wondering if it would be structurally not as good with 2x3's, it will simply make the wall 1" thinner in my mind :)

4. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

Shouldn't be a problem. Your foundation is the structure. The 2x3's are just there for insulation and attachement of gyproc. They also provide a small vapour space between the cement and insulation.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

actually, our house, all the interior walls (including the load-bearing center wall,) are made with 2x3 studs on 16" centers.

It's thought of as a little odd, but I think in our area, it still meets local building code.

Personally, I sort of like the idea of a 2x4 header and footer, with staggerd off-center 2x3 studs to provide mechanical seperation between the wall-sides.

Leo