What's new

2nd Mars rover launched (finally!) (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
An interesting PR twist: NASA never gave these missions a romantic "official" name (as in "Viking," "Pathfinder," "Beagle-2," etc.). They were simply designated "MER-A" and "MER-B" ("MER" standing for "Mars Expedition Rover") with the rover components receiving the popularly submitted "Spirit" and "Opportunity" monikers.

But these little guys are extremely important.

If all goes well—and that is a big if—there will be a much-welcome traffic jam at Mars this winter: Two U.S. spacecraft already in Martian orbit will be joined by Japanese, British, and additional American vehicles (and landers will detach from the orbiters which will remain aloft).

Do the HTF faithful have any idea how exciting this is going to be? Most people live in the moment. With a deluge of good data coming from Mars, along with images from those rover vehicles people like to identify with (and assign "personalities" to), a grassroots sentiment for a human mission to the Red Planet is possible.

I am very, very excited by all this.

Remember, also, the Chinese may very well by then have launched their first manned spaceflight, Shenzhou 5.

Spaceflight is exciting.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Obviously no more exciting than the loss of Britney's virginity :p).

--
H

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to go outside and watch. I was up, too.

I caught the replay on the NASA channel last night. They got some good video off the rocket-cam, even hundreds of miles down-range.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks