What's new

2nd consecutive bad DVD! Bad batch? (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I purchased Best in Show at Best Buy about a week ago. As with all my DVD's, I may not even unwrap it until a week later.

Well, I was watching the movie last night and about 3/4 of the way through the DVD began skipping, giving odd sound bits and VERY unusual video output (green square all over and what not.. unusual banding) for about 1 minute straight. It then does it again about 3 minutes later for about 10 seconds.

To keep this short, the DVD doesn't have as much as a fingerprint on it! It's a mirror finish. It has to be some sort of burning error, or what not.

Now, I don't have original receipt but did pay for it via credit card at Best Buy.

Is there anything I can do to get a decent copy?

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy can look up your purchase by credit card... their site is incredibly vague as to what happens with defective DVDs... they say "In order to receive credit for these items, they must be unopened." that implies that a defective item can be exchanged but not "credited"...

finding an employee who gives a rat's a#! will be the hard part...

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
If Best Buy won't exchange it, I'd try sending it right to the company that put it out. I tried that once with Warners and they told me that while they don't usually do it, they would replace it "in the spirit of good customer relations". If a DVD is defective and the store won't help you out I think the the manufacturer should have the ultimate responsibility and any honest company will make it good. At least I hope they would.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy will let you exchange it. As James said, they can look up your credit-card purchases. Just curious...if you know that you wont be opening your discs until a week or more after purchase, why don't you keep the receipts?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Yeah, Best Buy will allow you to exchange it. They let me exchange a DVD that I hadn't opened for 2 months, eventhough it was past their return period. In fact, they were out of the DVD so they just gave me a gift card for the amount, eventhough I had paid with a credit card.

Michael Qualen

Stunt Coordinator
I never understood how people can leave newly purchased unopened DVS´s for weeks and months...or even freaking hours ! The first thing I do when I get a new DVD is unpack it ! Thats part of the "fun" of buting new DVD´s...even though the unwrapping itself is not always fun ;)

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
The first thing I do when I get a new DVD is unpack it !
Ditto, but watching them is another matter!

I open them to make sure the disc isn't flopping about which is always a "return" situation, but until you get through the stack of discs that you haven't gotten to yet, not to mention the stack you just bought, you won't get a chance to detect any "mastering" defects.

Michael Qualen

Stunt Coordinator
...I have yet to have unwatched DVD´s for more than 1 or 2 days from the time I buy ´em...

apart from Moulin Rouge which I had for 6 months before I watched it...and after that I wish that I had watched it earlier...fantastic flick

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Just curious...if you know that you wont be opening your discs until a week or more after purchase, why don't you keep the receipts?
Simple. I'm not in the habbit of saving receipts for small purchases and I've absolutely never had a DVD problem until now. I'm sure I'll react to this situation and change the way I buy & open DVD's.

Thanks for the info, fellas. I'll first see if BB will give me an exchange on the same product. I think that would be fair.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I never understood how people can leave newly purchased unopened DVS´s for weeks and months...
I actually make a habit of not opening new or sealed used purchases.

I 'buffer' purchases in the event I see a better price later.

For example, I bought 'Fatal Attraction' at the $9.99 sale at Coconuts.

A month later, WalMart had the title in the $5.88 bin.

Bought title again at Walmart, took old copy back to Coconuts and swapped for 'Notting Hill' (which had just been marked down to $9.99).

This approach reduces my chance of buyer's remorse, because I'm almost always getting the best B&M deal.

From my perspective, there is nothing to be gained by opening the product until I'm actually ready to watch it.

Michael Qualen

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I cant just go into any store to buy my DVD´s...a stupid danish law forbids it (The sale of region 1 titles in stores) :angry:

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Some of you may have remembered a thread I created roughly three weeks ago regarding Best in Show and an apparent defective part about an hour into the movie. Well, today I exchanged the DVD at Best Buy for a new one. I watched the movie tonight with a couple friends and nearly the same thing happened at 1:01.05. It didn't happen at two seperate points of the movie like last time, but it happened at a VERY similar time of the movie.

This viewing was done at a different DVD player. They're both Panasonics. One is an older RV-30 and the original viewing was done on a recent XP-30.

Do you think there is a 'bad batch' of DVDs printed? Should I try yet another return and get a different DVD?

John Watson

Screenwriter
It can happen.

I bought several YOUNG FRANKENSTEINS that would not play, and returned them (the original, then the replacement).

I eventually rebought it a year or so later, and it played fine on the same machine, proving it was probably a defective batch a year earlier.

I am afraid tho that some sellers may just repackage the disk and try to sell it again, to someone whose player may work for it, or who may not notice til months later that it is a dud :frowning:

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I see, John. I guess a bad batch is probably what it is.

I'll go back to Best Buy and see if they'll let me play it in one of their players so I can actually show and explain the problem. That way they won't shove me out the door with another defective copy. :) Maybe they'll give me store credit toward another DVD.. then I'll get Waiting for Guffman. :)

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know how it goes if this thread doesn't fall too far into the abyss.

And BTW, sorry to you moderators and forum users for starting this is the wrong section. I looked right past this section of the forum.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Adam. A cautionary tale - I had one disk that played terribly on my player, but the store was able to play it fine. They were very reluctant to allow me to exchange it even for a disk of another movie.

The disk in question was an Anchor Bay disk, and I was in no mood to buy a new player, when lots of AB disks are known to have problems (and hundreds of other disks play fine for me), so I held out for another different disk, and stewed about it later, knowing the store probably played the disk on some top-of-the line player known to cope well with problems.

I hope it goes well for you.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've had similar problems with the "War and Remembrance" 2nd set. It has been the same disc each time.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Quote:

Some of you may have remembered a thread I created roughly three weeks ago regarding Best in Show

This should have been continued in the existing thread. The threads are now merged.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks