What's new

*** 2nd Annual HTF Noirvember Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm going to try and get a few in this month but I'm certainly enjoying reading the comments here. Earlier in the year I had a film noir marathon and I honestly thought maybe one or two of the 20+ I watched was actually noir. I've still got a lot taped from TCM.

I did watch THE LAST SEDUCTION a few nights ago, which I guess is considered noir. I remember Siskel and Ebert praising the film for weeks and then months after it showed on cable. I enjoyed the film then and I enjoyed it this time, although I think it falls well short of some of the other noirs in this era. Florentino is wonderful and someone needs to make a documentary on what happened to her as she seemed to just disappear. Her character is certainly one of the best of its type as she's just downright mean, ugly, highly sexual and dangerous. I will say that the one problem is that most of the "twists" can been seen a mile away so this took away some of its edge.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
See my summary for film grades with the movies in "Bold" being first time viewings!

11-08-22

1667963190300.png

15) 11-08-22 "Shockproof" (1949) (Blu-ray) 3/5 Stars
A woman recently paroled from prison for killing a man and her parole officer fall in love. He marries her and leave his job as he's drawn into her furtive criminal life. IMO, the studio imposed "happy ending" kind of ruins this Douglas Sirk directed movie that was co-written by Sam Fuller. Also, I didn't know until after I watched this movie and did a little research on the lead actors that Cornel Wilde, who plays the parole officer was actually married to the parolee played by Patricia Knight. They were already married for 12 years when they made this 1949 movie. They divorced a couple years later and he married actress Jean Wallace. I viewed this movie on Blu-ray from Indicator which was a 2021 BD release "Samuel Fuller: Storyteller Volume Two".

1667964254309.png

16) 11-08-22 "Chicago Confidential" (1957) (Blu-ray) 2.5/5 Stars
Another documentary style noir about a Illinois State Attorney investigating mob infiltration's in a union. This movie has it all, prostitution, murder, union corruption, white slavery and drugs. Brian Keith plays the crusading State Attorney with Dick Foran playing a union President wrongly convicted of murder due to a frame job by the crime syndicate that wants to take over his union. Not a good movie as I've seen a lot better with a similar storylines. With that said, this "B" movie did have some moments in which I was mildly entertained. An uncredited Jack Lambert, played with some gusto, a vicious mob hood. This Blu-ray was part of Kino's "Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema VII" box set.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"1. Watch 20 Noir/ Western Noir/ Neo-Noir-Themed films, etc. from midnight Noirvember 1, 2022 to Noirvember 30, 2022 (the start of the Holiday Season) (use your own time zone to set the ending time).

2. Theatrically released films and short features count as 1 point each. Running times are irrelevant.

3. Two of the 20 films, et. al. must be new discoveries, movies you've never seen before. The point of this is to see those few movies you've always meant to see, but never got around to. Please specify new discoveries in your film list by making them bold, adding asterisks, different colors, etc.

4. Come here and talk about 'em.

5. There is an uber-category, the Heavy Smoker/ Femme Fatale for those who wish to put all of the rest of us to shame. This is the heavyweight division. These people, if they choose to accept the challenge, must view 24 Noir/ Western Noir/ Neo-Noir themed movies before dawn on Nov. 25th. Ten new discoveries are recommended for this one. The rest of us will bow down in awed reverence to these HTF members. The bragging rights will be awesome and long lived. What movies qualify?"

Perhaps having such challenge rules in place regarding a certain number of titles need to be viewed has curb enthusiasm and participation in this challenge? It only appears a few of us are actively involved in this challenge. Not a good sign!

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Bold - Denotes first ever viewing

Rating - Out of a possible 4
1668006433656.png

12) 11/07/2022 Chicago Deadline (1949) 1668006433656.png 1668006433656.png 1/2

Reporter Alan Ladd is at a hotel looking for a missing teen when a maid's scream redirects his attention to the body in a nearby room. A young woman (Donna Reed) has died from tuberculosis, and Ladd senses a human interest story. So, he pilfers Reeds' diary/phone book before the police arrive and starts calling people to get some background. It turns out nobody, including business owners and crime lords, wants to talk about her. Ladd pushes and the corpses star piling up. The overall story may develop in a fairly conventional way, but Ladd is strong enough so we stay interested. No real surprises though. Viewed this on an Italian import DVD; it was like watching a film on The Late Show in the 1970s.

13) 11/07/2022 The Blue Dahlia (1946) 1668006433656.png 1668006433656.png 1668006433656.png

Alan Ladd is one of three Navy fliers who have returned from the war. When he left he was a husband and father; now's he just a husband. He finds his wife throwing a party and kissing another man. Worse, he learns his son's death was caused by his wife's driving drunk, not by illness as she originally claimed. Of course she ends up dead, and of course he's suspect number one. He hides out, aided by Veronica Lake, who happens to be the estranged wife of the man Ladd saw his spouse kissing! Just who did shoot the missus? Nifty mystery penned by Raymond Chandler (he got the film's only Oscar nomination) with fine cast and some choice dialogue. ("You're wearing the wrong lipstick, mister.")

14) 11/08/2022 The Big Combo (1955) 1668006433656.png 1668006433656.png 1668006433656.png

Detective Cornel Wilde is determined to bring down untouchable, eccentric crime boss Richard Conte in this moody and quirky thriller. The story itself is no great shakes. But the performances and characters are rather fascinating, especially Lee Van Cleef and Earl Holliman as Conte's primary henchman. They're great together and their relationship is more than partners. Also good is Brian Donlevy, who's resentful of Conte for ascending above him to take over the Organization. And then there's the smoldering Helene Stanton as Wilde's on-again-off-again gal pal who makes the most of her brief but important screen time. The supporting players are ultimately more interesting than Wilde and Conte, who pretty much play the same beats through the whole film.

15) 11/08/2022 Black Angel (1946) 1668006433656.png 1668006433656.png 1668006433656.png

When her husband is convicted for murdering a blackmailer, June Vincent decides to prove his innocence. She partners with the victim's alcoholic ex-husband (Dan Duryea) since he knew her best and has a solid alibi. Their man suspect is Peter Lorre, a nightclub owner who was also being blackmailed. The twists and turns the story offer can be surprising, and Duryea was an actor born for film noir. Unfortunately, this was the final film for director Roy William Neill, who died of a heart attack the same year this was released. He had a career going back to the silent era and a real knack for atmospheric crime pictures, especially the Sherlock Holmes films he directed for Universal in the 1940s. A minor gem.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i figured most would throw that out and just watch as many as they wanted

i two more that i need t do write ups on,

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think the numbers are really an issue. I'm still hoping to watch some, but admittedly have less enthusiasm for this genre than horror/scary movies. But if I don't end up getting to 20, it's not a big deal (to me anyway).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just picked up the criterion of High Sierra, I will probably watch it tonight.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
See my summary for film grades with the movies in "Bold" being first time viewings!

11-09-22

1668054286308.png

17) 11-09-22 "The Boss" (1956) (Blu-ray) 3.5/5 Stars
This 1956 film is loosely based on the rise and fall of Tom Pendergast, who ran Kansas City's corrupt political machine 80 years ago. In this movie, the character's name is Matt Brady played by John Payne, a returning WWI hero that inherits a local political operation from his older brother played by Roy Roberts, who suddenly dies from a heart attack. Payne does a lot of yelling and fighting in this film that was written by Dalton Trumbo, while he was blacklisted, with the film directed by the competent Byron Haskin. Anyhow, the two-fisted Matt Brady rules his political empire quite well until the 1929 stock market crash forces him to bring in a junior partner with readily available cash. The problem is that junior partner is organized crime which leads to Brady's eventual downfall. I never even heard of this movie until I bought Kino's "Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema VII". However, some other people must have seen this movie many years ago based on my thoughts below.:)

There is little doubt in my mind that "The Godfather" logo was ripped off from the opening credits sequence from "The Boss".
1668055111381.png

Secondly, there is a sequence at Kansas City's Union Station in which the "Kansas City Massacre" occurs in the film. This must have been an inspiration to Brian De Plama as to how he staged a famous scene in "The Untouchables" (1987) involving a long stairway and a baby carriage during a shootout at a railway station.

1668055951510.png

18) 11-09-22 "Take One False Step" (1949) (Blu-ray) 3/5 Stars
This movie should have been renamed "Take Many False Steps" as the lead character played by William Powell does a lot of dumb things in this movie.:laugh: With that said, I still enjoyed this movie quite a bit. A married college professor agrees to have a drink with an old girlfriend, the next day, he's being hunted for her disappearance and alleged murder. Shelly Winters plays the flighty ex-girlfriend that gets our college professor in a whole bunch of trouble. This film that starts off in Los Angeles, but ends up in San Francisco has an excellent cast with Marsha Hunt, James Gleason, Sheldon Leonard and Dorothy Hart. Gleason and Leonard are quite good as the police detectives chasing after Powell. This Blu-ray is part of Kino's "Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema IX" It has an audio commentary by Eddy Von Mueller that I need to listen to during my next viewing of this entertaining mystery.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
4) High Sierra (1941) Criterion Blu
Bogart is definitely the main character even though he gets second billing in a film where he is pardoned so he can do a jewel heist. During this he meets a family with a girl with a club foot that he gets fixed, he wants to marry her, she doesn't agree.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

11-10-22

1668074584333.png

19) 11-10-22 "Port of Shadows" (1938) (Blu-ray) 4/5 Stars
A French army deserter arrives in the port city of Le Havre in search of a new lease on life when he meets an assortment of characters including a 17 year old young woman that he falls in love with that is hiding out from her creepy godfather that has his own romantic designs on his goddaughter. We have murder and suicide along with plenty of fog and contrasted lighting in this early French influencer of the "film noir" movement. We also have a little dog that steals every scene he's in. Yes, we have some low level gangsters too that aren't really that tough as long as you don't turn your back on them. IMO, you can tell early on, this film wasn't going to have an upbeat/happy ending like so many Hollywood movies. I've been meaning to watch this film for about 20 years. I bought the Kino Blu-ray over three years ago, but never got around to watching it until this morning. After watching "Moontide" (1942) with Jean Gabin a few days ago, I decided then to finally watch this fine film. One more thing, Eugen Schufftan, the legendary German cinematographer of this film would later win an Oscar for his cinematography in "The Hustler" (1961). The Paul Newman film.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

Rating - Out of a possible 4 1668087106038.png

16) 11/09/2022 Guilty Bystander (1950)
1668087106038.png
1668087106038.png 1/2

Zachary Scott is an alcoholic ex-cop in need of a shave, a new suit of clothes, and a hot meal. He works (sort of) as the hotel dick at a sleazy place run by Mary Boland, who, in addition to a place of employment, provides him with drink, cigarettes, and fast cash when needed. Not so much living as existing, Scott is visited by his ex-wife Faye Emerson, who informs him their toddler son is missing. He was last seen with Emerson's brother, who has also vanished. Scott wearily interviews the one person who might know something, a doctor who lives in the building and has a less than stellar reputation. The doc knocks Scott unconscious, but then ends up dead himself, with Scott the prime suspect. Still determined to find his son as he struggles to stay sober, Scott continues to investigate.

Guilty Bystander is a low budget noir that looks and feels as unkempt and dirty as its protagonist. Scott really embraces the role; at no time does he look like anything but the drunk, washed up human being he's playing. He stumbles, fumbles, falls down, and gets beat up, but repeatedly gets right back up again. Slowly the fog lifts, as he approaches a version of the great cop he used to be before a scandal drove him from the department right to the bottle and divorce. Scott is sometimes over the top, but generally he's captivating as the determined souse.

There's other fine character work here too: Mary Boland as Smitty, the only friend Scott has, who seems to know all there is about the city's criminal elements; Sam Levene as the sympathetic cop who used to work with Scott; and J. Edward Bromberg (his final film) as a crime boss with major health concerns. One the many joys of film noir is the character work done by the supporting cast, and Guilty Bystander is no exception.

The film stumbles in a couple of areas though. First, it can be too talky at times, with Scott delivering one too many self-deprecating monologues. And second, the pacing seems off. The film is just over 90 minutes but should have been shorter. It feels sluggish on occasion, in danger of losing any momentum it has built up. There is a terrific subway chase and fight, and the final act and reveals are satisfying. But as this should have the feel of a "the clock is ticking" thriller, Guilty Bystander allows the plot to stall too often.

I didn't realize that this film until recently had been considered lost. There was a 2019 restoration of a BFI print, and this is available for viewing on You Tube. It's certainly worth seeing at least once.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Rating - Out of a possible 4 View attachment 161961

16) 11/09/2022 Guilty Bystander (1950) View attachment 161961 View attachment 161961 1/2

Zachary Scott is an alcoholic ex-cop in need of a shave, a new suit of clothes, and a hot meal. He works (sort of) as the hotel dick at a sleazy place run by Mary Boland, who, in addition to a place of employment, provides him with drink, cigarettes, and fast cash when needed. Not so much living as existing, Scott is visited by his ex-wife Faye Emerson, who informs him their toddler son is missing. He was last seen with Emerson's brother, who has also vanished. Scott wearily interviews the one person who might know something, a doctor who lives in the building and has a less than stellar reputation. The doc knocks Scott unconscious, but then ends up dead himself, with Scott the prime suspect. Still determined to find his son as he struggles to stay sober, Scott continues to investigate.

Guilty Bystander is a low budget noir that looks and feels as unkempt and dirty as its protagonist. Scott really embraces the role; at no time does he look like anything but the drunk, washed up human being he's playing. He stumbles, fumbles, falls down, and gets beat up, but repeatedly gets right back up again. Slowly the fog lifts, as he approaches a version of the great cop he used to be before a scandal drove him from the department right to the bottle and divorce. Scott is sometimes over the top, but generally he's captivating as the determined souse.

There's other fine character work here too: Mary Boland as Smitty, the only friend Scott has, who seems to know all there is about the city's criminal elements; Sam Levene as the sympathetic cop who used to work with Scott; and J. Edward Bromberg (his final film) as a crime boss with major health concerns. One the many joys of film noir is the character work done by the supporting cast, and Guilty Bystander is no exception.

The film stumbles in a couple of areas though. First, it can be too talky at times, with Scott delivering one too many self-deprecating monologues. And second, the pacing seems off. The film is just over 90 minutes but should have been shorter. It feels sluggish on occasion, in danger of losing any momentum it has built up. There is a terrific subway chase and fight, and the final act and reveals are satisfying. But as this should have the feel of a "the clock is ticking" thriller, Guilty Bystander allows the plot to stall too often.

I didn't realize that this film until recently had been considered lost. There was a 2019 restoration of a BFI print, and this is available for viewing on You Tube. It's certainly worth seeing at least once.
Eddie Muller showed it on "Noir Alley" last year I think or in 2020.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

11-10-22

1668114026849.png

20) 11-10-22 "The Thief" (1952) (DVD) 3.5/5 Stars
A nuclear scientist who sells secrets to the Communists becomes "hot" and prepares to leave the country. This is one unique film which is strong on mood and suspense. The movie runs its entire length without a single word of dialogue uttered. Great on location shooting in the D.C. area and NYC. I bought into the concept of no dialogue, but the "production code" ending hurts the film. Thus, I knocked my film grade down half of a point. Ray Milland plays the scientist with a guilty conscience for his spying and the murder he commits trying to escape. A really good acting performance on his part. Ironically, Martin Gabel who plays Milland's handler in this film, was later "blacklisted" as he's listed on the infamous "The Red Channels List". A horrible chapter in American Cinema's history. Also, the lovely Rita Gam appears in this movie that tempts Milland with her sexuality.:) This is another movie that I've known about for decades, but for some strange reason never got around to watching it, despite this Image DVD being part of my disc library for over 20 years. SMH!

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

Rating - Out of a possible 4 1668134212474.png

17) 11/10/2022 Manhandled (1949)
1668134212474.png
1668134212474.png

Alan Napier dreams of murdering wife Irene Hervey, perhaps because he lusts after her jewelry. He confesses this to psychiatrist Harold Vermilyea, whose new secretary Dorothy Lamour takes session notes. In her building lives snaky private eye Dan Duryea, who's really friendly with Lamour and learns about the jewels. He swipes them and Hervey ends up dead. But did he kill her or did somebody else? Insurance investigator Sterling Hayden and detective Art Smith hope to sort all this out. And it turns out there's a lot of sorting to do.

With a cast like this in a potentially gripping story, this has to be chalked up as a major disappointment. Noir heavies Duryea and Hayden play their roles too lightly; almost anyone else could have been cast. Lamour can't make her character terribly interesting, even as the noose figuratively tightens. The twists don't land like they should. And the various plans the various villains come up with make little sense. How do they think they'll get away with it? Art Smith actually is the best thing about this thing, as the snarky detective who knows a lot more than he lets on. He's fun and seems to being having fun. Maybe too much fun.

Based on the abundance of humor and a groan-inducing fadeout gag, nobody seems to have taken this seriously at all. So why should we?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

11-11-22

1668148359787.png

21) 11-11-22 "Shack Out on 101" (1955) (Blu-ray) 3/5 Stars
Man, this is one of the strangest, offbeat movies I have ever seen. I didn't expect such a film noir!:laugh: Another "spy" movie about military secrets being passed to a Communist agent, but unlike, "The Thief", this movie has humor galore in it. Furthermore, most of the film doesn't take place in Washington D.C. or NYC, but instead at some isolated diner located off the beaches of southern California near some military facility. Also, the main spy isn't a nuclear scientist, but a short order cook named "Slob" played by Lee Marvin.:D There is a weights lifting sequence in the movie with Keenan Wynn that had me cracking up. Marvin and Wynn, as a comedy team.:) Terry Moore plays a waitress working at the diner that finds herself in the middle of a spy ring. She also has Wynn, the diner owner and a famous scientist played by Frank Lovejoy competing for her affection. This movie is so bad, that it's good entertainment as I was smiling and laughing throughout the movie. I wonder if Terry Moore had a good time filming this movie with Marvin, Wynn and Lovejoy lusting after her.:rolleyes: I only wish the 2013 Olive Blu-ray had an audio commentary because this little film surely deserves one as the movie is so ridiculous from beginning to end.

1668156520148.png

22) 11-11-22 "Bewitched" (1945) (DVD) 3/5 Stars
On the eve of her engagement, a demure young woman becomes the victim of a split personality that later murders her fiancé. This little known, disquieting psychological MGM movie was Hollywood's first depiction of schizoid psychosis. An important early noir treatment of the evil "doppelganger" that lives within us. I've had this WAC DVD in my disc collection for a decade, but never watched it until this morning. Eddie Muller during one of his recent "Ask Eddie" segments brought it back to my attention because the voice for the evil "doppelganger" was supplied by Audrey Totter while Phyllis Thaxter played the sweet, demure personality. As soon as I heard the split personality voice, I instantly recognized it as Totter's with her most vampy voice. During the screen credits, Totter wasn't recognized, but she is listed among the credits at AFI. This weekend on "Noir Alley", Totter will play her ultimate "femme fatale" role in "Tension".

Anyhow, "Bewitched" is too heavy-handed for my taste regarding the subject matter. Furthermore, there are a couple of scenes that I didn't care for, like a courtroom sequence that I don't think it should have altered the jury's verdict nor a later sequence at the Governor's mansion. However, I liked the movie enough because of the performances of Thaxter and off-screen Totter.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

Rating - Out of a possible 4 1668185549899.png

18) 11/10/2022 Rogue Cop (1954) 1668185549899.png 1668185549899.png 1668185549899.png

Crooked cop Robert Taylor's kid brother Steve Forrest (also on the force) is in the right place at the right time to identify a killer. Crime boss George Raft wants the identification squashed and will pay Forrest $15K to keep his mouth shut. But Forrest isn't like his brother, and if Taylor can't change Forrest's mind, the consequences could be fatal. Raft and Taylor, especially, are great in this engrossing, tension-filled drama. Highlights include a brawl between Taylor and Alan "Skipper" Hale, Jr. and the climatic shootout. Anne Francis does nice work as Raft's lush of a girlfriend.

19) 11/10/2022 I, the Jury (1953) 1668185549899.png 1668185549899.png 1/2

When his good friend is killed, Mike Hammer (Biff Elliot) pulls out all the stops and no punches to find the killer. Mixed up in the plot are a sexy psychiatrist, a gang of jewel thieves, the victim's neurotic girlfriend, and a pair of amorous twins. Elliot takes some getting used to but is totally convincing when fists start flying. The plot is sufficiently complex and John Alton's camerawork is glorious. But the dialogue is sometimes unintentionally funny, and Hammer isn't the easiest guy to warm up to.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Rating Out of 4
1668189477411.png

20) 11/11/2022 Lady on a Train (1945) 1668189477411.png 1668189477411.png 1/2

While traveling from her San Francisco home to New York, spoiled brat Nikki Collins (Deanna Durbin) witnesses a murder from her train car. The police think the death was an accident, so she tries to get crime novelist David Bruce to help her find the killer. A film noir screwball comedy that gives Durbin a chance to sing a few tunes as she eludes various perils. Casting Dan Duryea as one of the suspects was clever, and the overall cast is good. Offers a few laughs, and a rather obvious master villain. Fun but not particularly memorable.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Day 6: 6 Noirvember 2022

Double Feature Presentations

1668192569274.png
1668192587139.png

8. The Letter (Warner Archive Collection) First Time Viewing

Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. (Release Date Nov 23, 1940) Director: William Wyler, Photography: Tony Gaudio * check out his filmography

Work schedule is killing my progress. So, I thought it was time to break out some of the big guns and tackle them. South Seas Tropical Island, Bette Davis, Murderess opening, all based on William Somerset Maugham story, oh my. Now I see what people have been talking about. This is outstanding from the start. It just pulls you in and shows how manipulative, people can be, as she tries the entire film to prove an innocence that never existed, stay faithful when that was never going to happen. And proves the point of hell hath no furry like a woman scorned.

Highest Recommendation

9. Out of the Past (Warner Archive Collection) First Time Viewing

RKO Radio Pictures, Inc. (Release Date Nov 13, 1947) Director: Jacques Tourneur, Director of Photography: Nicholas Musuraca

The film that is said to be the quintessential Film Noir, lives up to its reputation and more, As Robert Mitchum’s private investigator, goes on the hunt for Mob Boss (Kirk Douglas), girl (Jane Greer) who ran off with $400000.00. I can see why this film is so influential, from the pitch perfect narration voice over. The femme fatal, who is playing both sides against each other. Right down to the final showdown and setup. Only one person had the idea of what was actually going to happen, but you don’t see it till the end.

Highest Recommendation

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell

Rating - Out of a possible 4 1668203648731.png

21) 11/11/2022 Street of Chance (1942)
1668203648731.png
1668203648731.png 1/2

Burgess Meredith is out walking and minding his own business when he's nearly clobbered by falling concrete at a construction site. When a policeman interviews him, Burgess gives him a name that doesn't line up with the initials on his monogramed hat and cigarette case. He soon learns he deserted his wife and abandoned his job a year ago. Then a stranger (Sheldon Leonard) gives chase after spotting Meredith at his old office building. Now Meredith is determined to find out what happened during that missing year, even if the truths turn out to be ugly ones.

A film that loses steam before reaching its end, Street of Chance is riveting stuff during the first half. Meredith is a great everyman who seems perfectly harmless. But harmless people don't just walk out on their lives and the people who care about them. So, the setup is perfect. Then Claire Trevor enters the picture as the girlfriend of Meredith's alter ego and the film starts to get bogged down in the investigative details. Some of the questions the film raises are never satisfactorily answered. Still, the story and performances are good enough to keep one watching.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

11-11-22

1668212024934.png

23) 11-11-22 "Singapore" (1947) (Blu-ray) 2.5/5 Stars
An American former smuggler returns to Singapore after WWII to retrieve some pearls he had hidden during the war. He encounters his former girlfriend, who he thought died in a bombing raid. Some integrated elements of noir style and plot are in this movie. Some of the dialogue, particularly, by Ava Gardner didn't age well for me. I thought MacMurray was pretty good as the former smuggler/war hero and appreciated his dialogue a lot more. Another movie in which the "production code" ending kind of ruins the movie for me. Thus, I deducted a half of point for that happy and corrupt-free ending. One day, I'll revisit this movie again in order to listen to the audio commentary that Kino provided for this movie. Perhaps, I might appreciate the movie a little more with those commentary insights. The Blu-ray is part "Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema VI" box set.

1668219359452.png

24) 11-11-22 "The Midnight Story" (1957) (Blu-ray) 2.5/5 Stars

A priest in San Francisco is brutally murdered. A young policeman that was raised in an orphanage under the tutelage of the slain priest decides to go undercover to find the killer. He suspects a local restaurant owner of the killing, but has no proof nor a motive for the killing. He gets a job at the restaurant and eventually moves into the house of the suspect and his family. I'm a big fan of Tony Curtis, Marisa Pavan and Gilbert Roland. However, this movie was a little too melodramatic for me as the movie script has more than a few misdirection plot points in it. I might have to watch this movie again, but right now, I think it's a "meh" film that might grow on me in time. I do like some of the San Francisco location shooting. This Blu-ray is part of Kino's "Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema V" box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks