$2K to spend on a setup....help me pick

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RichST, Dec 10, 2005.

1. RichST

RichST Extra

Hello all,

My buddy needs to get a receiver, speaks, and sub and has $2K to spend on it.

I figured I'd come here first since a couple years ago I got such good input on what I should buy and was very pleased with the suggestions (10" Dayton sub, Refurb AVR-225, and NSP I speaks)

He's got a rather large room (probably 15 ' x 40 '). The room is pre-wired, but he doesn't want to cut the wall for recessed speakers.

He also wants some sort of storage and playback ability available for his MP3s in the receiver. I don't know much about that so I told him I'd just build him a $600 media center PC...not sure what you guys think about that.

Anyway, I just dont know where to start [​IMG]

Thanks tons

2. RichST

RichST Extra

OK OK, so I did some exploring [​IMG]

Opinions on SVS's SBS-01 system coming out in late December? Here

Also these Denon receivers caught my eye:

AVR-2805
    AVR885S
    AVR-3805

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The SVS speakers/sub and Denon receivers are very good. I'd still possibly reccomend something like Swans 2.1 mains and surrounds, C3 center, SVS sub, and HK 435 receiver. The Swans bookshelfs and center are substantially larger than the SVS speakers (will help in the large room) and of very good quality (both build quality and sound). The HK435 will offer the same or better power (despite rated watts per channel) and a better auto setup (including a sub eq, not included in the Denon autio setup). A media center PC would be a great source for not just MP3 but possibly a DVD/Video server and DVR.

4. RichST

RichST Extra

Huh, not many to input advice...maybe shoulda put it under the speakers forum or something.

Anyway, thanks for the advice Mr. Hopkins...you definitely put me in the direction of the receiver.

So this is what he ended up ordering:

HK AVR 630
    Ascend Acoustics: 340 Center, 170 fronts, 220 rears
    SVS 20-39 PC Plus sub

I think its going to be a nice system.

I had some help choosing from elsewhere as well... [​IMG]