$2K to spend for everything (see inside)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Rogo, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Mark Rogo

Mark Rogo Extra

OK, mom is ready for surround sound. She has a nice, big-screen Sony TV and wants the following:
    * Surround-sound receiver
    * 5 speakers (although possibly only 3 because there is a pair of existing KLH's that could be used as the surrounds)
    * Combo DVD/CD player/changer -- at least 5-disc capacity
    Budget = $2000
    I am not up to date on what's what in that price range. I personally have had great success with my NHT speaker setup and would steer her that way unless there are other good reasonably priced choices. I personally have a Denon 4800, NHT 2.5s, AC-1, and SuperZeros in the back. Pioneer DVD player.
    I am looking for a system recommendation, including the above components (and possible upgrades if you believe an older pair of KLHs would serve as rear surrounds.
    I am a little dubious of a subwoofer for her, unless it's real small. There is a finite amount of space available. Also, with my 2.5s, I don't miss having a sub (although I realize she won't have 2.5s).
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Not super sure on model numbers because I have not been window shopping so much latley...
    You can get a nice pioneer 5 disc dvd/cd changer for around $300,mabey less.
    reciever,I have to say onkyo.I have the 575 and love it.I guess its the 595 now...I am sure you can get that for under $500.
    So that leaves $1200.
    I would get 2 pairs of klipsch sb-1's,that will run around $400 and the matching center will run around,mabey a bit under $200.
    $600 left to play with,need a sub,some wires and a few dvd...
    Sub,Check into a sub from the veldoyne ct or paradigm pdr series,probably get a decent sub for $350-400.
    $200ish left,get some good speaker wire,I do not own any but I hear good things about the home depot wire.Get a good piece of digital coax or tos for the dvd-reciever connection,if you use digital coax,just get a good 75 ohm video rca cord and your set.
    dvd to tv connection,s-video?rca?component?
    if you have a few bucks left get a dvd or two she really likes and have fun
    ------------------
    My dvd collection
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...?alias=cisaacs

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Agree with Bryan.
    Home Theater Direct, nOrh, and Ascend Accoustics all have very nice offerings in this price range, leaving money left over for DVD player and cables.
    Check out the rest on Bryan's list as well.
    John

5. Eric Wood

Eric Wood Stunt Coordinator

I concur as well!
    Try the Panasonic CV51 for $200 (5 DVD Carousel)

6. Mark Rogo

Mark Rogo Extra

Interesting recs so far. I had not even heard of these speaker brands. I am beginning research therein and also looking at receivers in the $400-500 range and these $200-300 carousel DVDs.
    Thanks and if there is more, I look forward to hearing about it.
    Mark

7. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

Try looking at the specials at onecall.com you will find a few packages in the $800 - $1,500 range that might be to your liking.
    Harmon Kardon & NHT
    Velodyne, NHT & Onkyo
    Atlatic Technologies & Onkyo
    Etc. Worth a look.

8. Jeff Krane

Jeff Krane Auditioning

I have been trying to put a system together in this price range for several weeks and have come up with these impressions (unfortunately more through reading than listening).
    DVD players are largely a commodity item and can be had at budget prices if progressive scan, MP3 capability, DVD-A are not important to you. At this low end, my 5 disc changer choice came down to Pioneer 503 and Technics 56(???). I got the Pioneer because it was cheap ($170) at Best Buy.
    Good receivers in this price range include offerings from Kenwood, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon. I am still deciding between Onkyo 595 and Denon 1802. I sense that Denon may be slightly better quality, but that the Onkyo has a cleaner design, interface, better remote and may be easier for your mother to use.
    For bang for your buck, speakers purchased direct from manufacturer via the internet seem to be a good way to go, except that you can't hear them ahead of time. This is overcome by most offering a 30 day money back guarantee (some like HTD will even pay return shipping). My impression here is that people are absolutely passionate about the quality of sound from norh 4.0s which can be had for $850 for a set of 5, BUT... the norhs have a unique look that inspires passionate feelings. Since my wife doesn't like their aesthetics, I am going to cross them off my list. Swan divas are somewhat pricier than other offerings in this range and will probably put you over budget. HTD level 3 seems to be a good quality system, but to my eye there bookshelfs are a little too much of a big ugly box (sorry for the shallow opinion!). Axiom has somewhat less expensive speakers that can be had at a bargain price from www.audioshop.on.ca. In the end, I think I am going to go with the Ascend Acoustics system that has a complete 5.1 setup with the Hsu VT2 sub (unlike your mother I do want a good sub) for $1100, I believe it is $750 without the sub. For her to get a system that works well without a sub, the best choice could very well be different.

9. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

If you mom is in California forget about Asscend. you have to pay sales tax! ... that's why I dont have an asscend setup right now. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------

10. Mark Rogo

Mark Rogo Extra

Mom is in Florida, so Ascend sales tax is not an issue. I may recommend their speakers to her based on more research. I will keep looking and, yes, the nOrh's are out on aesthetics.
    Good thoughts on the remote, by the way. That is a big issue and I personally hate the Yamaha remotes, for example, despite really liking their sound.
    Thanks again, all. If there are more opinions, I'd love to hear them.
    Cheers,
    Mark