2GB Free Email Storage

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott L, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Web based Aventure Mail.

Currently says they are ugrading their servers due to overwhelming demand [​IMG]

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

They're up and running now. I would rather wait and hear from someone who's signed up and see if it's worth it.

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Is that one of those things where they scan all of your e-mail and show you ads based on what you typed? (Wasn't that what google was going to do?)

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The site says no advertisements.....there's gotta be some catch...especially since there's so little info you can check before registering.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    from the website, after i tried registering---We are currently not accepting new registrations. Accounts can be purchased in our store (http://www.aventuremail.co.uk/store) in the mean time.---
    i'm not sure about adventuremail, but that is what google is going to do.

CJ

6. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I have both an aventuremail and gmail (google) account. Gmail just blows it away. First thing, the ads...or should I say "what ads?" I've used the account for 3 weeks now and I haven't had a single ad displayed in gmail. Hotmail, Yahoo, AOL, Comcast and the rest, now those have picture ads on the top, sides and bottom. Gmail will only show a limited number of text only ads on the right column if it has an ad that pertains to what you are emailing about. Like I said though, so far not a single ad (except for the 'welcome' email from google which had ads for...well google. [​IMG]

The best feature of gmail which is why I can never go back to another email service, even one that integrates into outlook, is the threaded email view. Now all of your emails are grouped into their corresponding conversations like a thread right here at HTF, this includes the replies you send. It is perfectly implemented with all but the current being colasped and only the first line of the others being shown. One click and you can open up any or all of the previous emails. You have no idea how much of a timesaver this is, especially if you are replying multiple times to someone. So while everyone else will try to sway people away from gmail with larger storage limits I think the ingenious features and virtually adless interface including on emails you send out, will keep people towards gmail.

Aventuremail is a nice interface though thanks to a 3rd party email program that runs a variety of other email services. However it does crash quite a bit. I've had it a week. Only good thing is that there is no size limit to file attachments (gmail has 10mb limit).

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hah good point about the ads in Hotmail. On top and the side of my inbox, and on the footer of each email I send out.

Give us a heads up when anyone can sign up!

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ive signed up for aventuremail a week or so ago... Works great... no ads whatsoever, good interface... Though not 100% stable, its very decent...

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    for gmail users (adventuremail too), how is the spam control? i dont send that much email, but i really hate getting junk mail at my yahoo account. that is the very reason i abandoned both of my hotmail accounts, i couldnt weed through 500+ messages per day (seriously) to get to the one i was expecting. yahoo is not bad, but i've been waiting for gmail for a little while now. i was browsing around google's site, and i've come to like them as a company, i'm expecting pretty good things from gmail. plus i think their search engine is among the best available.

CJ

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Jason, so how exactly did you get a Gmail account? When will it be available to everyone?

11. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I got an invite from a friend that was using google blogger. Anyone that was a google blogger was asked to be one of the very first gmail users. They then got 2 invites to give out. After about 2 weeks I was then given 3 invites to give out (all gone btw) as they are slowly expanding. They haven't said a word on when it is going full Live yet.

As for spam I haven't gotten any yet. The spam control is completely customizable and from what I hear of others forwarding their spam filled emails to their gmail account that it is catching most of it. I think the key is to not sign up for anything using the account. I'm only going to use it for personal contacts. Signing up to websites and the rest will go to a hotmail account which gets blasted with spam.

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    how botu this, unlimited email storage:

http://www.youvegotpost.com/

Havent tried it yet, anybody wanna be guinea pig and report back to us? :p)

13. ZacharyTait

Yahoo today officially expanded their service to 100 MB for people who use Yahoo Mail for free and unlimited for people who pay for it (I'm not a 100% sure on the unlimited, but that's what I remember hearing.) They overhauled the interface and made it much cleaner. It's going slow now, as I imagine they are ramping up to deal with inevitable onslaught of people signing up. Expect it to take a while for anything to happen. I'm on a cable modem and it's still going slow!

14. ZacharyTait

Yahoo today officially expanded their service to 100 MB for people who use Yahoo Mail for free and unlimited for people who pay for it (I'm not a 100% sure on the unlimited, but that's what I remember hearing.) They overhauled the interface and made it much cleaner. It's going slow now, as I imagine they are ramping up to deal with inevitable onslaught of people signing up. Expect it to take a while for anything to happen. I'm on a cable modem and it's still going slow!