2channel amp for Diva6.1andAnthemavm20

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kishore, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Kishore

Kishore Auditioning

Folks,
    I'm looking for a good (musical/movies) amp for my Diva 6.1's (sensitivity is 88db)and Anthem AVM20 because I find myself listening to lot of music lately (classical/Jazz). I'm currently using Anthem MCA-2 (175 wpc)to drive the front two channels and Anthem MCA-5 to drive the center and surround and rear speakers. What should I look for? High wattage(>225wpc) or low wattage high current amp (i.e., wpc channels double when you go from 8 ohm to 4 ohm)? I'm thoroughly confused about this topic because some reviews say that a 125wpc quality amp plays louder than a 200wpc mediocre amplifier. If possible I would like to keep the budget between $1000-1500. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help.....

2. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

In short because I am at work. Current drives your speakers. Wattage = Current x Voltage. So there are two ways of getting to your desired Wattage. Either through high voltage or high current. Those 1000watt amps at Walmart you see use a ton of voltage and no current and sound like garbage. My Moon 2 channel puts out 70w per channel, but can sustain that at like 10amps or something ridiculous. I've never played it over 35 out of 50 on the volume control without pain coming to me ears. With a quality amplifier I wouldn't be so concerned on the amount of actual power it produces unless your are driving some monster speakers at high volumes.

Also note power consumption is exponential per 10db increase in volume.