2Ch. SACD Question: Connecting to regular inputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eujin, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Ok, this is kind of an odd question. I've been enjoying SACDs for most of this year now and I'm totally sold on the format. However, my player offers no bass management options when playing redbook CDs. As things stand right now, I have the player connected to my receiver via the latter's multi-channel inputs. This is fine for SACD playback, as my player allows the selection of "small+sub" for SACDs, but sends a full signal to my speakers when playing regular CDs. Since there is no bass management for the multi-channel inputs on my receiver, I'm losing all the lower bass info that my speakers can't handle. So...I was wondering if I could simply connect the outputs from my player to a regular audio input on the receiver and still be able to get full SACD reproduction? I've tried this in the past just to see if I could get anything and I remember that it sounded fine to me, and I THINK that bass management worked this way too. Can anyone confirm if this is even possible?

For the record, the player is a modified Sony 775 and the receiver is a H/K AVR320. Thanks!

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Eujin,

I'd suggest this approach:
    Connect multi-channel inputs for SACD playback (minimum would be Front L/R and Sub. This would allow the SCD-CE775 to handle bass management for SACD.

Connect digital output of SCD-CE775 to digital input of H/K receiver. This would allow the receiver to handle bass management for CD material.

Using analog inputs means the receiver would have to sample the analog input (A/D conversion), perform bass management in digital domain, then perform a D/A conversion for analog output.

This would be the "most effective" setup for your environment IMO.

Regards,

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Eujin, are there no other outputs on your SACD player useful for CD-only playback? In other words, can't you keep the proper SACD outputs in place for SACD functions (necessary for hi-rez playback), and also run separate outs (coax/toslink/rca's) for CD functions and select between the two as required?

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

John and Rich, Thanks for the replies.

John: After modification, my 775 sounds better than the receiver on redbook playback. I was hoping to not have to switch between inputs on the receiver when playing different material--it's a 5-disc changer and it'd be nice to have a mix of both SACDs and CDs in there.

Rich: My player does indeed have a regular CD output just for CD playback but again, I was hoping to not have to switch between the two. Ah well, maybe it's a lost cause and I'll just have to do the switch. Maybe I'll just have to suck it up and get an ICBM. Aargghh...

5. John Kotches

Eujin,

An ICBM is an excellent suggestion, and will be far more flexible than your receiver for bass management.

Regards,

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

7. Matthew Anker

Matthew Anker Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this will help you figure it out, but the Stereo outs on the CE775 output the exact same signal as the Multi-channel fronts. Essentially, you have two stereo outs on the SACD player. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Eujin,

I agree with John that something akin to the Outlaw ICBM is what you need, now that we know you like the analog out of the modded 775 better than digital out + receiver processing. Thus, you need a mechanism outside the receiver for deriving a bass signal without going through potentially sound-degrading A/D and D/A conversions. With the ICBM, you can connect the 5.1 output of the 775 to it, send both SACD and redbook through it, and have a helluva lot of bass mgmt control for both music types.

I have an ICBM, which I bought with the original intent of deriving bass for my redbook material for the same reason - that I liked my sources' analog outputs and didn't want to convert it to digital in my controller. Since I need redbook bass management support for multiple source players, however, my configuration is somewhat different.

Doug

9. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Eujin, I too agree that you should get an ICBM if you must have bass management with CDs. The only other suitable option would be use of the optical digital output on the 'CE775 with your receiver's bass management, but since you had the 'CE775 modded, this is probably not desirable. In any event, do not use the analog outputs on the 'CE775 with your receiver's bass management function for the reasons that John stated. That would be the worst option.

11. Nathan_W

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Nathan,

I don't know anything about the 320 so can't tell you whether or not it does bass mgmt completely in the analog domain for stereo analog inputs. I would be surprised if it did, though, as I have not heard of such a feature on a receiver (not that I am plugged into the receiver market). If it did do it, it would them make sense (or at least have a realistic possibility) for the 5.1 inputs to also have this option, but Eujin's post makes me believe it does not. There are some pre/pros that do this, and of course the ICBM does it when bass mgmt is engaged. In the final analysis, go with the best sounding alternative.

Doug

13. John Kotches

There are very few products out there which will do bass management in the analog domain. The H/K 320 isn't one that will do the chore.

I beleive the Outlaw Audio Processor might do the job, but could be mistaken.

The Denon AVR-5803 might do the job as well.

It is far cheaper (and easier) to do the job by digitizing the input and treating it as Just Another Digital Source.

Regards,

14. Nathan_W

Thanks for a reply, Doug. I get the point about the 5.1 ins, too.

Oh well...

Just saw your post, John. Thanks for answering.

Double oh well...

15. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Wow! I thought this thread would die out after my last post--I guess this is a much bigger issue than I expected it to be.

Nathan_W: Glad you're enjoying the 320--I didn't realize that my posts about it had such an effect. It's an amazingly flexible receiver for the price, but it's also curiously limited in some other ways. Also, I would never take any of stuff spouted by tech support over at HK as gospel--they obviously spent money on product development and zero on tech training for their people.

John: Thanks for confirming that the 320 does NOT do bass mgmt in the analog domain--I was pretty sure before, but I'll take your word over the a guy on the other end of HK's tech support line any day!

Well, the ICBM is definitely in my future--once my SACD collection hits critical mass. For now, the majority of my listening is still redbook and I guess I'll stop being lazy and just select the appropriate source setting depending on format. Again, thanks for the suggestions and the lively discussion!