2900vs5900 interlaced mode

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by phyllis, Nov 12, 2003.

1. phyllis

phyllis Agent

Hello everyone,i need your help!

I currently have a non hd 36 inch sony vega and my old dvd player just died on me.I was wondering will there be a huge difference between the 2900vs5900 in interlaced mode?Has anyone tested this out?
    I dont care to much about the dvd audio sacd part this is strictly for viwing movies only.Any help would be appreciated!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you don't care about the audio portion, then I'd suggest looking at the 2200. Qt just over 1/2 the price of the 2900, it has essentially the same video section as the 2900. Construction (isolation, chassis) and audio (DACs) are where they appear to have reduced cost for the 2200, but the picture quality is very good. Interlaced looks very decent too.

If you will be upgrading to an HDTV in the near future, and you are prepared to spend ~$2K on a player, then I'd say 5900...

3. TrevorS

TrevorS Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Phyllis

Judging by other's posts, it appears there is a very definite difference in picture quality using the interlaced output between the stock DVD-2900 and DVD-5900 players, though the interlaced performance of the DVD-2900 is certainly no slouch. On the other hand, this difference is far more visible on a projection screen, than on a 36" TV (even a Sony Wega). So, if that is your only criterion for the selection. It seems like the 2900 would be the most cost effective of the two.

I have no knowledge of where the 2200 would stand in that regard, but if it has the same video DAC specs as the DVD-2900 (I don't know), then as John says, it could be the perfect solution. If the video DAC specs are lesser, then it could also be a question of where you want to draw the line (or as John suggests, your future plans).

Luck -- Trevor [​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    BTW, I am using my 2200 on a 34" WS WEGA. I already have a nice SACD player, and I will likely only pick up the odd DVD-A here and there, so the audio portion was not important to me either.

5. phyllis

phyllis Agent

Thank you for the help.I am not going to go to a hd television for a couple more years and by then there will be a new version of the higher end denon model to shoot for[​IMG]