What's new

290 pounds, two 15" woofers, and 113 dB at 20 Hz (1 Viewer)

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Indeed Craig, it is all about the right parameters for the job. There exist suitable parameters to make a 6.5" woofer have the same response in the same box as an 12" or 18". The question becomes which one is most practical to build, with the best linearity?

These classic misconceptions are not without any basis though... If you look at generalized or "the norm" in driver construction you see that most 15" plus drivers get crammed in too small a box or are not built with appopriate parameters for smaller enclosures. Likewise, 12" drivers are a bit easier to build with lower Fs without going to extreme designs. Misconceptions simply come from bad examples. Simple as that.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Yup. Tumult allows lots of clean output in a "reasonable" box, but if your box size is essentially unlimited, there are lots of choices which make sense.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I haven't. Like many commercial subs which aspire to state-of-the-art, I'll bet they sound as good as the room allows.
Sure are purty, too.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
ChrisHeflen: I don't think Wilson can even compete in their own range. I really don't like their stuff. That's my take...

but things are very subjective. Somebody out there likes their stuff, or they wouldn't be in business. I don't know why though, I've never been impressed by their stuff.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Not that this is directly relevant, but the older Wilson sub being referenced was the WHOW for Wilson High Output Woofer.

Cheers,

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
I love that system. Every guy needs to make a book with pics of that system just to show his sig other when she thinks we are "overboard" in what we want... :emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Soundhound rules. Great system! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

And thanks again for the awesome organ CD; still the reference standard for separating the wheat from the chafe in subwooferdom.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"...I don't think Wilson can even compete in their own range. I really don't like their stuff. That's my take...

but things are very subjective. Somebody out there likes their stuff, or they wouldn't be in business. I don't know why though, I've never been impressed by their stuff."

Having heard most of Wilson's speaker models here and there through the years, I find that my sentiments parallel yours exactly!

Got to give it to Dave "W" though; he has managed to acquire his very own Lear jet (I think) simply because there are some well-heeled "audiophiles" who will buy his speakers and not even blink twice at the obscene price tags those systems command... :rolleyes

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

Those are for poor people. If you are serious, a BBJ (Boeing Business Jet - basically a 737) is the way to go. $40-50,000,000 + $10-20,000,000 to outfit it :D You'll be in it for the better part of one hundred million if you go all out.

Hmmm, first airplane to have Klipschorns and a SET amp.

MikeN

Agent
Hrmmm.... Interesting stuff. Our new sub (using a 12" driver and 12" PR) hit 116db at 30hz at 12+ ft, in a 3.1 cuft enclosure.

Two of those are plenty for me :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Robert AG: What model of JBL 18 inch subwoofer are those?

And thanks for the superb recording of that church organ music! :)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Just a little bump for this thread. Really curious as to what model those JBL 18 inch subwoofers are! :)

Anyone else happen to know?

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
The closest thing I could find on the JBL site was this model of 18 inch subwoofer.

SR4719X Dual 18" Subwoofer system

But the subs Robert is using are each separate 18 inch subwoofers that are stacked.
Anyone else have any idea what model of JBL subwoofer Robert is using? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks