What's new

2805 - Rocks! (1 Viewer)

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Just got it hooked-up last night and my new Denon 2805 sounds awesome. (upgrade from an 1801). My Klipsch speakers never sounded "warmer". I've yet to calibrate, but I can tell already this is an outstanding unit. If you are considering one - you will not be disappointed.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Glad to hear the good news! Its nice to hear some opinions on the performance of this unit. After you calibrate, please let us know what you think of the auto-eq, and the sound of the different eq settings (flat vs. front vs. normal, etc)...and any other thoughts on the 2805.

Which Klipsch do you own?

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running the RB-35's front, RC-35 center, and RF-35's rear (now rear-back, and bought 2 RS-25's for my surrounds). They were fine with my old Denon 1801, at least I thought at the time. I'm about 75% HT/25% music, so I really liked the set-up for HT and didn't judge too critically for music. I could tell in an instant that the 2805 was head-and-shoulders above the 1801. The second I turned on the tuner/radio station, I could tell the sound was a lot fuller/richer. Just got things put together last night (ie. all audio/video hook-ups, new speaker wire and bananas) so I really didn't have time to put it through the paces. However, a quick listen to a DVD (LOTR), and a few dolby digital HD TV channels, and it was obvious that the 2805 was producing a much warmer,pleasing sound. It was really like night and day. I wasn't expecting nearly as much of a difference as what I heard. Surprisingly, my wife could even tell a difference (and admitted it) - which is rare. Set-up was easy, and the OSD worked great with component cables to my TV. I didn't fiddle with the mic or the EQ settings, but will probably work on that this weekend. I can let you know how it does.
I'm using a SVS sub (PB2), and of course that sounded good anyway. I was just really surprised at the dramatic difference the 2805 made in improving my systems sound, and I would highly recommend it to others. I've heard others were less than impressed with the EQ feature, but I'll share with you my experience. I must confess, I don't know a great deal about the physics of it, but I can tell you how it sounds to me and how easy it is to use. So far I would give it 2 thumbs up:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: , and can't wait to start listening to some old music once again. Truly a good buy.

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck, Good Q. I've been changing some things, but not too much tweaking on the 2805. I ended up trading-in my RB 35's for some RF-5's, and upgraded to the RC-7 from the RC-35. I also traded in the RS 25's for some RS-7's. That has further improved the overall performance of the 2805.

I have calibrated the speakers several times with the Auto feature, and then on my own with the SPL meter. My opinion is that if you didn't have a clue as to how to balance your speakers, that the auto calib/mic is a nice little feature that would do a satisfactory job. But if you have a sound meter, and know what sounds good to you, you can probably tweak it to your liking and be more satisfied doing it yourself. I like the center channel and sub running a little hot. The auto calib. would consistently even things out very well, and then I would change them back to my liking.

The EQ is still a bit of a mystery to me. I have tried it with all the factory pre-set settings, but still prefer to just have it off. I do not adjust in manually. Truth be told, I just don't have enough time in the day to try out all the different options. It took me a couple of days just switching between "small" and "large" for my fronts and center, and playing with different crossover settings. Ultimately what worked best was what most of the posts say not to do (ie I ended up leaving them on Large, and having the LFE out of both my SVS and the fronts).

I still think it is a very good unit. Easy enough for someone that wants a pretty simple system, yet still provides enough features to play around a little with the sound if you have the time and inclination. I must say though, I still can't help but wonder whether that 3805 had anything more that I may be missing. (ie. the "what if" syndrome). But we all know, that can drive you nuts if you let it.
:frowning:
I still rate the 2805 with 2 thumbs up:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: , and would note that it has more than enough power to keep my HT room (15ft.x25 ft) roar'n.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Mike. Sounds like you've got a pretty serious system now!

How does the RC-7 compare to the RC-35?

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still learing a lot, but having some fun. There really is no comparison between the RC-35 and the RC-7. I saw the same thing posted by many others, and finally decided I had to go check it out myself. After a quick demo at my local shop, I made the switch w/o reservation.
The only drawback is that it is huge. Fortunately, I have a RPTV and it sits just fine on top.

The sound is just more forward and lively. I thought the 35 was good, but read that others felt it was "muffled". I didn't think so until I hooked up the RC-7 at home, and then could really identify with that description. If you have ever strained to hear dialogue, or keep boosting your center up, then you know what I am talking about. With the 7, the dialogue was very clear and distinct.

I also think the match is better with the RF-5's then what I had with the RC-35/RB-35's (ie. timbre all across the front). The RC-7 is very expensive, and I have spent a lot more than I ever thought I would when I got started, but it is worth the expense. If you are considering it, I would wholly recommend it. I think it is far superior to the others (I started out with the RC-25, then got the 35 because I was not satisfied - now, I am finally happy with the RC-7). Again, the only drawback was the size. In my case, it worked better to upgrade over time, and my wife accepted it bit by bit. I think if I went from my old speakers (rhymes with "hose"), then I think it would have been total shock. Let me know if you have any more specific questions between the 2. ;)

Shaun

Second Unit
I also recently made a huge upgrade. I upgraded my entire system from a 32inch Toshiba television, Onkyo TX-DS575X Reciever, Onkyo DV-CP501 5-disc DVD player and Infinity Interlude speaker system to a 55inch Widescreen Mitsubishi HDTV, Denon AVR-2805 Receiver, Denon DVM-1815 5-disc DVD player, Denon DVD-2200 DVD Video/DVD Audio/SACD player, Klipsch RF-25s (Mains), Klipsch RC-35 (Center) and Klipsch RS-25s (Surrounds) along with my now 3 year old SVS 20-39PC subwoofer which still performs incredibly.

I am very pleased with my setup and am finally happy to the point where I don't feel the need to upgrade, at least for a while. The SVS 20-39PC Plus/Ultra looks awful nice, but I've got to pay this stuff off first.

The 2805 is an incredible receiver, with crisp, yet warm and defined sound. Dialogue is always clear on movies, and effects are very lifelike and powerful. I've used the auto-eq setup feature a couple of times to see what kind of results it would generate. The feature is nice, but as stated earlier, if you have an SPL meter, use it.

I can now understand why so many say that they prefer their own home theaters to commercial theaters. I went to see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow at an AMC, and it was just pathetic how bad the sound was. Dialogue was muffled and they had the subwoofer completely turned off (why do theaters do this?). It ruined the whole movie for me.

Anyway, I have have pictures of my theater posted here on the HTF. Please click below in my signature for the pics.

Eric D Wong

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2805 and I agree, its awesome. I still havent used all the features of it yet, like the room EQ. Sound is pretty good although I am feeding a Adcom outboards. I seriously considered the Adcom GTP 860ii, however it was like 2x the cost...

I'm real happy with my unit though. I havent tried the auto room EQ yet, I've been playing with the unit all week, it certainly does ALOT. I'm using the front L and R playing into my Adcom amp, which is driving a pair of Maggie MGIIIA's. The sub out feeds either my DIY sonotube sub, or a Klipsch SW-12 depending on my mood.

I dont have a center but I am using some old Radio Shack LX5's as the "surround backs", and I'm using B&W AS6 dipolar for the sides. Quite a mismatched system yes, but most of its experimental. I'm either going to go a full Magnepan system or Polk system.

Learning remote makes everything a breeze.

Elminated from the system: Arcam Alpha 5 tuner, Audio By Van Alstine preamp, AudioControl Crossover.

So far observations:
Dont stack anything ontop the unit, even with just the 2 surround speakers hooked up this thing made my VCR which I had put ontop hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch when I lifted it up. Its real flexible with looking up stuff. The front panel that hides the front A/V input is really cheap looking/feeling.
Remote is a little clumsy to use when switching functions

Things I wish for:
Ability to rename inputs
Ability to "trim" each individual channel
More coax inputs
More "tape" input(s)
It doesnt have a single tape monitor loop
External processor loop
"staple" preout/main ins

Overall, great machine.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Just Orderd my 2805 this weekend... :D :D :D

I cant wait to get it. It will be replacing my Technecs Pro-Logic reciever. This will be a huge upgrade for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
I am seriously looking at this receiver to upgrade my current Yamaha RX-V995. I use a Parasound HCA-1205A amp and Paradigm Reference speakers. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for this in Canada? Also what is the difference between this and the 3805, and cost?

Thanks
Steve

Shiu

Second Unit
The 2805's lab test numbers (specs) were equal or slightly better than the 3805 except that it has less power and does not have HDCD decoding. Not sure about the price of the 2805 but you should be able to get the 3805 for under CAN$1700 tax included.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I'm in the same boat. Looking to get a 2805 or 3805, still not sure, need to get my 'special' prices and see what makes sense.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you that replied to this thread that own the 2805, now that some time has passed, how has your experience been? I am trying to decide between the 2805 and the 3805. I don't know much about receivers so I am a little nervous about purchasing the 3805, but I like the extra power that it will be able to supply.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences now that you have had time to play with the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks