What's new

28 up (1 Viewer)

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
I was checking out the Documentary Channel last night and came across a fascinating piece of work i'd never heard of. 28 up ( Link Removed
[Edited last by Jeremy-P on October 03, 2001 at 10:45 PM]
[Edited last by Jeremy-P on October 03, 2001 at 10:46 PM]

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've seen all of the series except 7 up (too young) and 42 up (missed it, damnit). As far as I'm aware, they've never been repeated on Brit terrestrial TV - you either see them when they're on, or miss them. I'm not sure they've ever been repeated on satellite over here. This is ironic, because the series is an icon in the Brit TV world, and regularly wins awards.
If you ever do get to see the programmes in sequence, it's fascinating to watch who agrees to be filmed every time and who drops out (meaning some of them refused to be filmed every time, not that they died).
One thing which should be noted is that the participants don't represent 'typical' Brits. There is an over-emphasis on the 'top' and 'bottom' of the social classes, with the skilled working class and lower middle class (i.e. the majority of Brits) under-represented.

Pascal A

Second Unit
I have only caught parts of the series as well, but they are quite fascinating. I do agree though that part of the curiosity is to see who drops out at any given age, since it is often an indication of a person's emotional well being during that stage.
Regarding the fairly polarized cross-section of children (or people) represented, I had a similar reaction to the American version of the "Up" Series - they seemed to be selected either from the projects or affluent, prep-schools, most likely, to try and capture their evolution into their "predicted" destinies. However, I must admit, it was quite amusing to see this cute little Catholic school girl turn into some grunge chick as an adolescent in 14 Up in America.
eek.gif

------------------
Strictly Film School

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
These are engrossing and valuable documentaries. Unfortunately, I've only seen "28 Up" which was released on LD and "42 Up" which just came out on DVD. Putting the class issue aside, it's just fascinating to see how the ideas and dreams of children play out over the course of these people's lives. I was glad to see the guy who was homeless in "28 Up" starting to pick up the pieces of his life and see a friendship form between two participants and a marriage for one who seemed to be a perpetual loner. It's also easy to identify with many of these people as they slow down and move into middle age since they aren't a whole lot younger than I am.
Can't imagine what it must be like for the participants to watch and listen to themselves over the course of their lives. I'd hate to watch myself at 7 or 14 or even 21 and listen to the ideas I had then. However, this is a great social document. It's also going to be an eery experience for their children to watch their parents grow and change over time. In that respect, I'm envious as I would dearly love to see and hear my parents talking about their plans and hopes at various points in their lives.
Someone should start an American version. Also, someone should release the entire set on DVD. Fondly looking forward to "49 Up" which should be only 5 years away. Hope some of the dropouts return and no one else refuses to cooperate.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I believe there is already an American version. If memory serves me correctly, it started a couple of years after the Brit '14 up' (in fact, isn't that what Pascal's referring to?). I *think* a couple of other countries have also started similar projects (didn't Australia start one?).
Incidentally, I've just discovered that 42 Up is available in R1 but not R2. Funny old world, isn't it?
This thread really has whetted my appetite (which I guess will remain unsatisfied) to see all of the programmes again.

Pascal A

Second Unit
The American version is actually a TV movie production from Showtime, and can occasionally be found in their programming lineup. The first installment was called Age 7 in America, followed by 14 Up in America. The director wasn't Michael Apted, though.
------------------
Strictly Film School

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks