What's new

28 days later... R1 or R2...??? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys, I am multi-region capable so I just want to get the best transfer... There should be no PAL speed-up since it was shot with a PAL camcorder, yes..? Or did they transfer to film etc...???
Anyone know which version to buy..?

Thanx! D

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
There's no PAL speedup on the R2 DVD. According to all the reviews I've read, there's virtually no difference between the two versions. I guess you should go with the one that's cheapest.

BrunnenMatt

Agent
Are the features the same on both DVD's and is there a difference in artworks on the cover.
Cheers, ...BMatt

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Special features are the same but in R1, we Yanks get two releases.

A Widescreen Special Edition and a Full Screen Special Edition.

Just like Bend It Like Beckham.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I watched the R1 version last Friday night and I thought the transfer was great. It was exactly how it was in theaters, maybe a bit better. Some reviews are saying how it looks like VHS...no they're just idiots :D.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking about getting this one. I love Dawn Of The Dead, so I'm sure to love this, yes?

Going by the synopsis, setting and shooting style of this film, I would highly recommend a brilliant British sci-fi film from 1961 called, The Day The Earth Caught Fire, directed by the great Val Guest. It's on DVD with the same extras (inc. a superb commentary by Guest) in both Britain and the US.

Think I'll pick up 28 Days Later tomorrow.

Gordy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gordon; there's a two for £16 offer on Fox titles at www.bensons-world.co.uk - including 28 Days Later and some other decent titles; managed to bag that and the two-disc Patton.

The former is a blind buy - fingers crossed!

---
So many films, so little time...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that's a pretty decent sale! I've got all the ones I'd want already though, except The Longest Day, which I believed to be non-anamorphic, but is it? If it is anamorphic, then I'd buy it as part of the offer with 28 Days.

Butch Cassidy is part of the offer. I remember when I bought the region 1 edition the day it came out for £27! Thank God those days are over!

Thanks for the heads-up, John! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, be aware that there are several 'vanilla versions' in that list - one disc releases of movies also available in 2-disc versions; the two-disc Longest Day has a pretty good documentary missing from the one in the bensons world sale.

---
So many films, so little time...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Cheers, John. Benson's also stock the 2-disc version for £13.99. I guess it was at Fox's discretion to include the 1-disc version in the sale. Kinda weird, as they have the 2-disc Patton (which is great - you should've bought it by now! ;) ) and some other great 1/2-dsic SEs. I think I'll just pick 28 Days up in the city tomorrow.

One item I did order from Benson's though was the Amicus 5-Disc Collection Coffin (£31.95, 28th November release date). I was somewhat sceptical of this, until I saw your link on the Anchor Bay forum, and was delighted to see/read that the transfers of seem to be stunning!

Cheers! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Patton is one of those titles I've been meaning to buy for ages, but I started to panic when I realised they'd canned the R1 2-disc, so the Bensons World offer came at the right time!

The Amicus set looks great doesn't it? I've got a bit of a thing at the moment for cheesy horror movies, and I've been busy buying lots of Blue Underground, Anchor Bay Hammer, MGM Midnite Movies (and Steve Coogan's wonderful Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible), etc.

There's a bit of rumour going round (see www.zetaminor.com and their Hammer films section) that Anchor Bay are repackaging some of their Hammer titles into doubles - presumably under their 'drive-in' banner. No way to firm this up; I haven't spotted them anywhere, and there's no 'In the Future' section at www.anchorbayentertainment.com (which is worrying), but, if they follow the pricing of their other drive-in titles, it could help the old bank balance.

---
So many films, so little time..

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Here is another source of info' about the Hammer double bills. The discs are up for pre-order at a couple of places: they would have probably got their info' straight from Anchor Bay.

28 Days Later may have been (mostly) shot on video, but the DVD was transferred from film elements (you can tell by the occasional bit of film or negative dirt). I'm not sure if that means the R2 will have PAL speedup or not, but it certainly raises the possibility!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Amicus set looks great doesn't it?
Absolutely! Lots of Cushing & Lee and many other British heroes, all packaged beautifully and with great A/V quality, it seems. I can't wait to get me mitts on it! :D

DVD has saved SO many almost-forgotten and previously abused horror films, and it just keeps getting better for horror geeks like myself! :)

Gordy

Real Name
Anthony
Gordy - No !

Just because you liked DAWN OF THE DEAD does NOT mean you'll like 28 DAYS LATER. I do - and I didn't.
I found it to be a pretty stupid movie full of poor artistic choices but ultimately that's just my opinion. A lot of people seem to like it.
However, it is NOT a zombie movie and I doubt anyone could claim it was in the same league as Romero's films.It's far closer, in fact, to that old TV series SURVIVORS - somewhere between that and RESIDENT EVIL (the game). That may sound good to you but I'd proceed with care if I were you.

By the way - you guys should check out Amazon a bit more often. AMICUS box set for £30.74 incl. delivery,
HULK box set for £22.48 - it's pretty rare for their UK prices to be beaten by anyone else on first release.
If you're looking at goods over £25 in value, they're worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks