What's new

27" - Panasonic or Toshiba? (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm going to be buying a tv within the next month or so, probably 27 inch the two models I'm looking at are the Toshiba 27A41 and the Panasonic CT-D11 and I was wondering which one I should get.

The main feature I'm interested in is Component inputs which both have and a price point under 350$

the panasonic has the following features:

CRT fine picture tube

CRT Panablack

Digital three line comb filter

Horizontal Edge correction

Color Temperature control

bass/treble/balance

closed captioning on mute

2 speakers

Stereo/SAP with dbx NR

2 rear AV inputs, one front

One rear S video input

One rear Component input

One headphone jack

Fixed/Variable audio output jacks

Channel Banner

Channel Labeling 30

clock sleep timer

Universal remote

Video Input Labeling

Video Input Picture Memory

Video Input skip

The Toshiba has:

FST Black High-Contrast Picture Tube

Digital Comb Filter

MTS Stereo/SAP with dbx

Front Firing Speaker System

StableSound

Glow Universal Remote Control

Icon On-Screen Display

2 Rear A/V Inputs

Rear S-Video Input

ColorStream Component Video Inputs

RF Input

Front Panel Inputs

A/V Outputs

Favorite Channel

Right now I'm leaning towards the Panasonic because of the 3 line comb filter and the video input labeling and picture memory. b ut before I make any decision I wanted to know if there was anything I should know about eitehr model that makes one better than the other that's not apparent from the specs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Adam

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I have had horrible luck with Toshiba Tube TV's (moire problem). I would go with the Panny if I did it again.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Whereas I have always found the smaller Panasonic direct-view sets to be too bluish--the color temp is always off the scale practically. I much prefer what appears to be the more accurate color on a Toshiba. But there are always exceptions.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If I was you I would also take a look at the JVC's especially the "D" series. If you do a search on them you will turn up quite a lot of good comments on them. I also would not rule out the 27 Inch Flat Tube Samsung that also has been receiving good reviews & can be had for around the $400 mark. Make sure you check for things like audio watts, bass & trebble controls & can you turn the sets speakers OFF if you hook the set to an audio receiver & etc. I'm not sure of this, but on the Toshiba I don't think you can turn the speakers off on the model you are looking at but check it out to make sure.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Adam_S: i have tried both of those models, and they both suck. The panasonic had TERRIBLE geometry problems, which apparently can't be fixed completely. vertical lines were not vertical, but wavy. The toshiba (tried two boxes) has a dark splotch in the top left corner and a small pincushion problem. maybe your living space is more accomodating for the toshiba and the spot won't appear. go with JVC.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
What is a pinchusion problem?

also about how much does the JVC D 27inch cost?

about the squeeze trick, can teh toshiba and panasonic do it as well, and isn't the squeeze trick changing the AR of the presentation to fill up more of the screen?

ADam

NathanS

Agent
If you have a Sam's Club in your area, go pick up the flat screen 27" Akai. It is just a rebaged Samsung, and everyone seems to love the 27" Samsung. By the way, it's only $379.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks