27" HDTV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Wenzel, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

My girlfriend just went to med school and her bday just came and she asked me for a new TV.

I was looking at the brands with 27" tv's (her room can barely handle that, so nothing larger)...

the brands i have seen that offer them, hdtv is a must, are samsung, philps, and zenith.

I ruled out the zenith models because they are owned by lg electronics and i really dislike that company. Also, I read that some of their hdtv's dont accept progressive scan dvd inputs and only show 480i/1080i. This is also unacceptable.

Philips offerings in that arena are sparse.

The new samsung models are the ones that interest me, but i could be dissuaded. The models i am looking at are the 2796 and the 2797...I can get them fro 650 and 750 repsectively (maybe a little cheaper) from a store with good service and are an authorized dealer. the maind differences between the two are the 2797 has 3:2 pulldown and some audio options which i dont care about.

I am asking can anyone think of anything i should be looking at inthe sub $800 range and is the 3:2 pulldown of the 2797 worth $100? She will be using a progressive scan dvd with the tv.

thanks in advance,
    rich

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I have a friend with last years 27in Samsung(sorry, no model number) and it is wonderful set for the price. Samsung also has a 30in Widescreen model out now that is really really nice, and for only 1000!

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The samsung 27 HD ready set is now 699 including the 200 dollar manufacturing rebate..Great deal and great set....At these price there is absolutly no reason to even consider analog anymore..

4. Eric Brian

Eric Brian Agent

What rebate??!! Where did you see info on this??

Thanks,
    EB

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

6. Eric Brian

Eric Brian Agent

O.K...where did you see that press release?? I've been all over Samsungs and Sears sites and cannot find any info. Thanks again.

EB

7. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

MIke, there is not $200 rebate, there is just a statement made in a press release about upcoming Samsung TV's which will be HDTV and cost $699. It gives no timetable, and it definately doesn't say that Sears is offering these tv's at this price.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Even so, this model is widely available at just under $800.

9. BrianGC

BrianGC Stunt Coordinator

Mike I,
    I'm considering Analog because I use my VCRs alot to timeshift almost everthing I watch. I recorded a test tape and took it to the store and had them hook up a VCR to a Zenith and Samsung HD ready set. The pic was very jittery on both, and was fine on an analog set. So I'm not going the HD ready route at this point, just something to think about.

BrianGC

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

11. Eric Brian

Eric Brian Agent

Samsung now lists on their site a $100.00 "In Store" rebate on all DynaFlat HD Monitors...

Purchase a DynaFlat HD model at participating retailers and get $100 Back!

Take a chance on superior technology.

Models include:
    - 27" : TXM2796HF/TXM2797HF/TXM2798HF
    - 30" : TXM3096WHF/TXM3097WHF/TXM3098WHF
    - 32" : TXM3296HF/TXM3297HF/TXM3298HF
    Good through the month of September.
    Note: This is not a mail-in rebate.

Best Buy lists both the 30" and 32" models at $200 off. The 27" is $100 off. Crutchfield also lists similar rebates. Don't know whether that includes the Samsung rebate. Sears...nothing!

None of these models have DVI inputs. Talked with Samsung the other day and they said that their sets *WILL* have DVI inputs next time around. Maybe DVI is closer to being a reality than we think. Might be the reason they're offering a BIG rebate on these models...

EB

12. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit