27" flat vs. 32" standard (newbie)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Szczyrbak, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Greg Szczyrbak

Greg Szczyrbak Auditioning

Hey folks,

Looking to buy a TV for the Home Theater I'm setting up. I've got a small budget so I'd like to spend under $500 for my TV. I've noticed the I can get either a 27" flat TV or a 32" standard tube, assumming everything else was the same.

What would you do?

TIA,
    Greg

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Definitly go with the flat. The 32" may be bigger, however the image on a flatscreen is just more pleasing to look at due to the absence of distortion from a curved screen. I have a 27" Sony VVEGA, and ever since getting it the old curved screens just look freakish to me.
    And above all, a flat sceen usually features the anamorphic squeeze option like the Sony VVEGA'S and I cannot stress enough what a marked improvement you'll see in your dvd's on it! [​IMG]
    My motto: i'll choose quality over quantity everytime.

3. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

Oh well, I guess this is the beauty of this forum. I disagree with John.
    I think the extra real estate that comes with a 32" TV and the geometery problems associated with a flat screen makes the 32" the clear cut winner.
    I do agree with John that finding one that does the "squeeze" will be a great benefit. I prefer ones that can be done from the remote instead of through the service menu.
    Here is one such TV well in your budget:
    http://www.americantv.com/elec/e_det...&sku=018000529

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I have a similar situation, I'm building my HT area. I need something for the interim period. I have looked at everything 27-32. I've narrowed it down to two.
    The Toshiba 32A42 , which I believe does the "squeeze" from the service menu.
    The Sharp 32u-s600 looked real nice, and the screen had a flatter curve than most non-flats. I'm not sure if it does the "service menu squeeze"
    I am real interested in the Samsung that Chris mentions, but I have yet to find one.
    I'm going with the larger screen for as it's only going to be used for a short period. Also, the service menu does not intimidate.
    The Sony 27" flat, has the 16:9 "squeeze" (on the remote) and it did look mighty fine for the terrible in-store display

5. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

I went through the same issues. Got a 27" flat AKAI/Samsung at Sams but after having trouble with 2 of them my wife (bless her heart) said "Maybe we can go bigger". So we looked at the JVC 32260. Brought it home and am quite happy with it. It's in the same place and frankly I don't see any more reflection in it than the flat 27 (actually maybe less). Needed a bit of tweaking but other than that very pleased with it.