27" flat screen or 32" curved screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonWaddington, Aug 10, 2002.

1. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

I am setting a $500 budget for my new tv. I can either get a 27" flat screen or a 32" curved screen for that price. I need something with 2 av inputs and component inputs.

2. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

I just went through same thing. Eneded up with JVC 32260 from Sam's and don't really miss the 27 flat. The extra real estate is welcome more than the flat screen.

3. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

I agree check with the bigger screen, check out the toshiba 32A32 its around 450-480.

4. sang

sang Auditioning

I am facing the same situation as the original poster: Wega 27" or non fs 32". I would like to have a better picture than just a large screen for size's sake; do you think that the Wega 27" has better image quality than a similarly priced 32"? The tv is mainly for viewing DVDs so the vertical compression is a feature I definitely want. Opinions?

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

sang
    if you want compression that limits your choices some. I don't know how many 32 inch non-flat have compression. But if that is not the determining factor, a 32 will have much more impact than a flat 27.

Artie

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I'd go for the bigger screen in a heartbeat. I've never seen a big advantage to the flat-screen fad, except to impress your guests.
    While in theory you should have a less distorted picture, the poor geometry on most of the (especially, lower-end) flat screens out-weighs that again, imo.
    And lest I forget to mention the obligatory: Buy a RPTV with 0% financing instead. [​IMG]

7. JasonWaddington

new question. i am gonna go with a 32". would component video be any better than svideo for a 32" curved screen? i mean, is it worth the extra investment?

8. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

9. JasonWaddington

DAMN IT! a 36" would be perfect. Oh well, i'll try to find a deal. I think 32 is plenty big for me anyway.

10. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

I too was wondering the same think for a bedroom set. 27 flat or 32 curved. Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like the 32 is the winner.

11. Aaron$Co

Aaron$Co Auditioning

Any 32" curved screen recommendations. Is Sony even still producing new models, there web site only shows the flatscreens, and the non flat screens are hard to find at online sites for circuitcity/bestbuy. Do any 32" curved screens have the "squeeze feature." Any recommendations would be great.

12. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

The JVC can but you have to do it in Service menu and I forgot how. Did it once on my 32260 and if you get right up on it and squint just right it is a little better, but not worth the setup trouble. If you have a good quality unit with high quality component input and cables it makes more difference IMO than doing the "squeeze".
    My bro (a HT professional) made me some very nice cables and I'm quite pleased with the JVC 32260 I got from Sam's for $469. Lots of set for the money.

13. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'll tell ya what...if you're into DVDs, then the squeeze feature is the only option worth having and size becomes irrelevant. Conjure up a few more bones for the 32" Wega.

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

15. sang

sang Auditioning

Well guys, I opted for the Sony KV27FS13 because I needed the squeeze feature. To my eyes, it made quite a bit of difference in the details. But how do you keep from getting screen burn in if you watch 95% DVD on squeeze and only 5% 4:3?

16. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

you dont worry about it. ideally you should ahve bought a widescreen tv, but if that is really your viewing ratio then even if you do get burn in its not going to be in a part of the screen where you will notice it.

17. sang

sang Auditioning

John,

If only I could afford it!

18. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

ah lets be honest, i dont think alot of us here can technically "afford" the stuff we buy.

hell im still in school yet im here and buying stuff..... i wonder does this mean that i can no longer claim poor student status?