27" flat screen help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jesse Goslee, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

Hi everyone I was wondering if you could help me out.Im buying my girlfriend a flat screen 27" tv for her birthday and I cant decide on which one is the best for under $600.I have read some threads and I came up with toshiba,sony,and jvc.My first thought was that sony was the best but after doing some research I found out about the tosh and jvc.Does anybody have any thoughts on which is the best?

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would say to go take a look at all of them & decide for yourself. As far as price goes I've seen the 27" Sony FS100 for $299.00 & the 27" JVC AV-FA44 for $277.00 I've never seen the Toshiba advertised for under $300.00 but if you fight with them who knows? I would do a search here because there is a lot of info on all of these sets. If your girlfreind is not going to be using a Surround Sound Receiver I would pay attention to the sound quality when checking each set out. My personal pick would be the JVC AV-FA44 but that's just me & all of these sets each have their own merits. On the JVC & SONY you can turn off the SVM on the Toshiba you can't but the Toshiba has a Video Output Jack the Sony & JVC don't. Something else you might want to check for her is how easy will the remote be for her to use. Out of the three the JVC has a one year labor warranty the Sony & Toshiba are only 90 days if that means anything to you. Good Luck & Happy Hunting [​IMG]

3. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

She watches alot of dvds and doesent have a receiver.I was leaning towards the jvc AV-27F704 and the toshiba 27AF44.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jesse, I would see if I could find the JVC AV-27FA44 over the 704 because it has More Audio Watts, Bigger Speakers & to me it's a nicer design than the 704 (But that's just me) & it can be had for the same price as the 704. As I said before all of these sets including the JVC 704 each have there own merits & I don't think you really can go wrong with any of them. The Toshiba FA44 is a brand "new" model (Last years model was the FA43) & the Sony & JVC's are models that will be discontinued shortly so you might be able to get a better deal on the JVC's or Sony if you fight with them. A place to go & check all of these models out is Sears & they do carry the JVC 704 & FA44. Check www.sears.com for pictures & etc of "All" the sets but if your going to buy from Sears really fight with them over their prices. I might also add that if you might want to step up to a 32 inch tube CompUSA a few weeks back had the 32" top of the line JVC AV-32FA54 (It adds P-I-P over the AV-32FA44) for $499.00 I've also seen the 32" Sony FS100 for $499.00 if you want to go with a larger set & still stay under $600.00

5. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

I decided I want to get the jvc 27f44 but Im having trouble finding a place to buy it.Does anyone have any suggestions where I could find it?Targets website has it but not the actual store.Is it safe to ship tvs?

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jesse, Yes it's safe to ship tv's, remember that's how they get to the stores warehouses or stores in the first place. I just checked Target's website though & the JVC AV-27FA44 says out of stock? I checked Sears website & I see the 44 isn't there anymore but if you call a Sears store in your area maybe they still have some left? The "New" JVC models probably will be out shortly though (Maybe AV-27FA45?)that's why everyone is out of them.

7. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

well I was able to locate the jvc av-27f734 and the toshiba 27fa44 at local stores.Which of these 2 models do you think is the best buy?Thanks

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I think it all depends on what your paying for the sets. If I remember right? the JVC AV-27F734 is a model "Eclusive" to Best Buy & it seems to be the AV-27F704 with just a different model nymber for Best Buy so they don't have to price match the 704. Best Buy has the JVC on their website for $378.99 & the "New" Toshiba 27AF44 for $331.99 If those are the prices your talking about I hate to say it but I would go over to Circuit City & buy the Sony KV-27FS100 for $374.99 You might try fighting with Best Buy though especially on their JVC because it's a model that will be discontinued shortly. Seeing this tv is for your girlfriend & if it isn't going to be a surprise? I would take her to look at the sets & see which one (Plus the Remote) she likes the best because, again, you can't go wrong with any of these models. I'll bet though that when the "New" JVC's come out they will be around $ 329.99 & look like the FA44 model. Maybe someone else will chime in here with some more advice. I would Pay Special Attention though on how each set sounds when you check them out. Sears has the AV-27F704 for $369.99

9. Jesse Goslee

Jesse Goslee Auditioning

So $331.99 is not a good deal for the toshiba?Maybe I will go with the sony.I dont want an outdated jvc for the price of a newer model.Thanks for the replies Bill you have been a great help.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Nope, $331.99 is not a bad price for the Toshba & the only reason I've been telling people over the months to look at the JVC AV-27FA44 was that it could be had for a lot less at the time than the older Toshiba A43 or the Sony. At the time the Sony was going for $449.99 until Sony lowered the price. The big difference between the Sony & the Toshiba (A44) is that the Toshiba has a "Video Output" which means you can send the A/V Ouputs on the tv to a vcr for recording which can come in handy if you have pay tv channels & on the Sony you can set the Scan Velocity Modulation to Low, High or Off & SVM can be ok for tv but for DVD's it's nice to be able to turn it off. Again, I would pay special attention to the sound on the sets & go with the one that sounds the best to you. You can live without either of the features above but she's going to be stuck listening to the way the tv sounds probably for a long time. Let us know which set you go with & what you like & don't like about it & if you really don't like something don't be afraid to return it. Happy Shopping [​IMG]