What's new

27" flat front tube options. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking to get an NTSC flat front tube TV and only have a $300 budget. The contenders are a Philips model at Costco and a Sanyo model from Wal*Mart. I know Sanyo's projectors are well regarded, and I've had good experience with Sanyo in the past (a turntable I bought over 25 years ago is still going strong and still sounds great). The Phillips model is $60 more than the Sanyo. Not sure of the model numbers, but they're the current models. I would greatly prefer to buy B&M don't want to pay shipping and we need it by next Sunday.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The set that I have been telling everyone to look at is the 27" Flat Tube JVC model AV-27FA44 which I've seen advertised for as low as $277.00 It has the 16:9 DVD Mode, a Pro-Color Temp. Setting & the SVM can be turned On & Off.

Sears has both of the 27" JVC models (Check Sears Website)which are the AV-27F704 & the AV-27FA44 & besides looks & weight the only difference between them is the FA44 has 5 more Audio Watts & Bigger Speakers. If you "Fight" with the dealer's you should be able to get either one for under $300.00 & either set will put the Sanyo or Philips sets to shame & as far as I'm concerned the JVC beats the lower priced 27" Sony for picture quality. Not that I agree with CR ratings but they also rated the Toshiba & JVC ahead of the Sony & I think they got it right this time. You might want to check Costco & Sam's Club for the JVC's because they had them for under $300.00 Maybe Sears will match their prices? Also JVC is the only company that has a One Year Labor Warranty on 27" sets if that means anything to you. I just checked Sam's Club & they have the AV-27F704 up on their website for $289.82

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the jvc from best buy. 250 on sale. It was rated only behind the toshiba in consumer reports (not that they are the best reviewers). I went w/ the jvc because best buy had 3 open box toshiba's for sale all w/ broken/cracked cases in the corners. One is a drop, three MIGHT be a design flaw.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Phil, Check Sam's Club website www.samsclub.com it's on their for $289.82 & it's under 27" Real Flat Stereo TV. It doesn't say "JVC" but it has the picture of the JVC & JVC's model number of AV-27F704. If you have a Sears near you I would just fight with them until they sold it to me for under $300 & show them the Sam's Club price. Perry is their any difference between the JVC sets that Best Buy has & the regular JVC models or is Best Buys model numbers just different so they don't have to price match? Was the 27" JVC you got for $250 brand new an in an unopened box? because that's a great price for the 27" JVC set. Phil, fight with the dealers & you can get one of the JVC models for under $300. Perry, & the only reason the JVC came in 2nd was because CR liked the Toshiba Menus & Remote a little better than the JVC's.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Problem is BJs and Sam's Club require memberships, upping the price by 10% or more for me, meaning I'm up to $350 after tax. Plis I don't feel like fighting with my dealers, especially with a price I can't even realize because I'm not a "member". I have had great customer service experience with Philips in the past so they got the nod. The TV is going to be in a family room that has lots of large south facing windows, used for watching news and stuff, nowhere near the home theater. Accurate color temp and defeatable SVM are not important in this application.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks