What's new

26 by 16 room, which way to go? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Hello all, just framing off the room soon and cannot quite make up my mine, first was going to do the long way thren thought maybe the short way, benefits of the short way would be I could put a bar in. Thought of putting screen on spots where s is, the #1 represents window. Really could only do the bar if I put the screen on the 16 ft half wall. Planning on 7.1 which would work best long way, ebox is where there are two gaudy junction boxes sticking out. So what do you think?

26ft
------------------------------------ebox-
1 1 l
x
Bx
s ax16ft
rx
?x
16ft s
------------------------ open here but can be framed shut

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
ASCII art rarely translates well on this forum. :shrug:

Anyway... I guess it depends on how big of a space you want. 16 X 26 is pretty much a Golden Ratio acoustically (I don't know how tall you're ceiling is).

I guess you need to stop and think of how dedicated you want this space to be and how many people you may want to stuff in there.

The wife and I are in a similar situation. We're debating between a more multi-purpose type room and a dedicated theater.

But, a word of advice, make sure you have a clear picture of what you're building before you start swinging a hammer.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
As somebody with a 17' deep theater, I wish I had more depth. Mine is a dedicated room, 11' wide. It will be hard to get more than one row of seats in a 16' deep space, if that matters to you.

Rutgar

Second Unit
For a Home Theater, I would suggest you use the 26' depth. Once you start putting in seats, treatments, and equipment, you'll be surprised at much room all of this stuff takes up. Plus, if you want more than one row of seats, you'll also need the length.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I would definitly go with the long way too. I had a theater in the basement of my house years ago and I always wanted it to be longer.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently working on a 16' x 22' room and would love to have the extra 4' in length.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I would go long ways also, my room is about the same size 25x17 and after alot of debating I think longways is better

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks