PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Stumbled on this over at DVDEmpre:

Hope the final art doesn't change much.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Can't wait to pick this one up. I'll never understand why this film didn't get more recognition.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Same here Matt. One of the very best of the year. That'd be great if they used the theatrical poster for the final cover.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I like it. The red is a bit much on the eyes...but that doesn't mean they should fill in that space with someones face ;)

Bruce

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I really liked this as well. I dont think thats the final art either.

Id sell my soul to get the rumored Anna Paquin topless scene that was cut as a extra on this:D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I see they did include a bit of city skyline in the shot..why not just fill the space with that? Instead, let's ruin that idea by putting a big head shot in the picture...and a bad one at that. That looks like Norton's stunt double.

Bruce

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
GEEZ! Damn that noggin shot's taking up the whole thing! Could be worse though and we could have every single character smashed in like Empire's cover....at least Disney is using the poster art of Super Mario Bros. for it's DVD :D .

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I really should start marking even my smaller cover art scans... sigh.

Anyway, here's a better look at the cover:

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

picture is good, but slight EE.
sound is good.

movie is charmingly hypnotic.

the score is ELEGANT; reverse comparison to EB's Far From Heaven (which is WAY overrated).

the club music has an outstanding mix.

top cast.

still watching..comments held till later.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
As I reflect on Spike Lee's recent film "25th Hour" it is evident in the shift in his directorial maturity. Although I will wait for subsequent viewings, I am prepared to call this his best film to date. If nothing else, this is his most somber and subtle expression, veering from his usual heavy-handed approach. '25th Hour' had elements of his highly acclaimed "Do the Right Thing' but was closer to a more controlled and deliberately paced film.

Known, with Woody Allen, as the consummate New York director he broached (in a mainstream film) the aftermath of 9/11 by more than just incorporating the presence of ground zero at various scenes into his character study of five individuals and their reaction to a single event. The focus of the film's plot lies not in the collapse of the Twin Towers but in the final freedom (24 hours) of a convicted drug peddler known as Monty Brogan. He is set to spend the next 7 years behind bars and this film documents his last 24 hours prior to incarceration. His interaction with girlfriend, family and friends - his suspicions of who "ratted" him out and his past reflections and future redemptions are all confronted.

Edward Norton displays his usual charisma as another talented, intelligent and potentially dangerous young man. Monty is an affable, street-smart Irish-American New Yorker, who chose to sell drugs to his rich school mates to acquire wealth. His best friend is Frank Slaughtery, played by Barry Pepper in a breakthrough role for this fine young actor. Frank is a similar street-wise Irish-American hustler - but he manipulates stocks and options as a financial trader. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays his other childhood friend, a teacher named Jacob Elinsky. A passive innocuous educator who is tempted to sexually indulge himself in one of the coquettish female students in his class; Mary, played by Anna Paquin. Lee uses the 2.35:1 widescreen lens to best effect while often showing major characters focused but off-centre or to the very edge of the frame. This detachment helps to fulfill a more realized representation. He is helped though, with all-star performances across the board. If this wasn't enough, include what I would rate as perhaps the best musical score of the year; Terence Blanchard's opus of contemplative, soul-searching violin and operatic accompaniments match the mood of the long cinematographic pans and collages.

Monty's echoing lament of "if it only hadn't happened" is easily reflected as the tragedy of 9/11. Whether it be the blue searchlight beams from ground zero or the ode to firefighters in Monty's father's bar, the references are continuously evident. Is Monty the microcosm of a shell-shocked America? - confused about who has betrayed him - critical of his own complacency - weary of the undetermined prospects that the near future has in store? The open-ended speculative nature of these critical focal points seems too coincidental. In addition there are a multitude of non-judgmental interpersonal issues that face direct comparisons touching upon the myriad of subtleties of the consistent coda of directors Zhang Yimou or Abbas Kiarostami . These can be digested in different portions by different viewers - and the contemplative nature is there beauty.

The film concludes with Monty's father (played by Brian Cox) giving a fictional representation of how to come through this tragedy - it instills the hopeful nature that must be kept in mind for Monty and perhaps all New Yorkers. The vision though is too idealized, and although enjoyably serene we must inevitably come back to the harsh realty of the future. With many themes harkening to the tragedy of September 11th, the film contains elements of reflection, sadness, friendship, trust, regret, power, fatalistic life decisions, temptation and coping. I've read many critics lukewarm reception of this film and I don't get it... I found it a modern masterpiece. 5/5

Graphic review here:
http://www.reviews.dvdbeaver.com/

The DVD:
I think this is a strong candidate for DVD of Year. It is as flawless as I have seen in a while. The image shows film grain and perfect contrast levels. I don't recall seeing any digital manipulation caused by the transfer process. It is sharp as a tack displaying the often gritty cinematography of Rodrigo Prieto (Amores Perros). The picture is anamorphic and maintains the wonderful 2.35 original aspect ratio. It is full of Extras... two commentaries - one by director Lee - one by screen and novel writer David Benioff, Six Deleted scenes, a short documentary by Lee entitled "The Evolution of an American Filmmaker" etc. I can't see where this DVD would be lacking for even the most anal of Digital Versatile Disc aficionados. Great audio (5.1) track too. I give it 5/5

Release Information:
Studio: Touchstone / Buena Vista Home Video
Aspect Ratio:
Widescreen anamorphic - 2.35:1

Edition Details:
• DVD Menu
• Bonus Material
The Evolution of an American Filmmaker (22:21)
Deleted Scenes (non-anamorphic widescreen)
Play All
Sway (1:34)
Little Odessa (3:08)
Naturelle, Mom and Monty (2:45)
Party Plans (:55)
Sneaking Mary In (:50)
Mary's Death Scene (1:03)
• Director Commentary
View the Film With Optional Audio Commentary by Director Spike Lee
• Screenwriter Commentary
View the Film With Optional Audio Commentary by Screenwriter David Benioff
• Ground Zero (5:33)
• Register Your DVD
• Scene Selection
• Set Up
Audio Options
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
French Dolby Digital Stereo
Captions
English for the Hearing Impaired
Captions: None
THX Optimizer
Audio Tests
Video Tests

DVD Chapters
1. A Good Dog
2. Touched
3. English Class
4. Frank
5. Uncomfortable Sofa
6. Reflection
7. Three Choices
8. Interrogation
9. 62nd Percentile
10. Naturelle
11. Last Night Out
12. Greed and Regret
13. Jake the Snake
14. "Paid in Full"
15. Nikolai's Advice
16. "One Last Thing"
17. Time to Go
18. "Left Turn to Where?"
19. Don't Look Back
20. End Credits

DVD Release Date: May 20, 2003
Keep Case
Chapters: 20

Cheers,

P.S. I think the EE noted is the way the film was shot at times... it can tend to look saturated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks