$2500 to spend on seperates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeanG, Jun 10, 2002.

1. DeanG

DeanG Auditioning

Hi all,

My first post after reading and learning alot from this forum. Hopefully I will be upgrading my whole home theater system. I have an old Sony pro logic receiver, Realistic Mach 2 speakers and Bose for center and surround. I narrowed my speakers to Diva or Axiom. What would be my best bet for $2500. Would a receiver in that price range due or a pre/pro and a amp.I liked the Rotel RSP-1066 and Rotel RMB 1075 and that would be at 2500. I would value any opinions. Thanks in advance

Dean

2. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Dean,
    Welcome to the board, what part of Alabama are you from? I haven't seen to many of us on these boards.
    I would strongly recomend going with seperates in that price range. I would say to look at Rotel or Audio Refinement (www.audiorefinement.com), personally i like the audio refinement better!
    If you send me an email ([email protected]), or put yours on here i'll send you some more info, and I can give you a real good contact in Birmingham with the owner at the new high end Audio/Video store there called Audio Forest.
    Good Luck,
    Brandon

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Dean,
    Definitely go with separates at that price point. I just pulled the trigger on the Rotel combo (see if you're local dealer will discount 10%... can't hurt to ask). Couldn't take it any longer on the Outlaw wait list. The Audio Refinement was also on my short list.

4. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

The Rotel combo would be great.. I have the 1066 paired with a Sherbourn amp which is in your price range. This combo is fantastic..great bang for the buck. Seperates are now affordable to the average income.

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I would suggest the Rotel Combo. But instead of getting a 5 channel amp that pumps out 200 watts to each channeland a seperate 2 channel amp, I would go with 2 100-watt 2 channel Rotel amps to drive the backs and the surrounds, and a RB993 or maybe an Acurus a200x3 to drive the front soundstage. Even in damn near reference levels, you dont need 200 full watts of power going to your surrounds and your back channels. This way, the pricing breaks down as
    $1300 for the 1066
    ~$700 for the three channel front amp
    ~$300 each for the two two-channel amps
    So for $2600 give of take, you have a seven channel system that will compete with systmes costing 5x as much. Hope this helps

6. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

If you're going seven channel, the Outlaw combo (950 pre/pro and 770 seven channel amp) is $2500 plus shipping. The Outlaw 950 and the Rotel 1066 have different advantages and disadvantages. Outlaw has been slow with their shipping schedule recently however.

7. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

Dean,

Where in Alabama do you live. I live in Alabaster on the south side of Birmingham. The reason is I own Axiom speakers. My set up is the M3ti(fronts), VP100, and QS4s(surrounds). I would also look at Parasound for the amp. I just picked up the HCA-855a but with the budget you have you might find a reasonably priced HCA-2205. I was amazed at the diffence in sound from the receiver to a dedicated amp. Every is much cleaner and louder. I have a receiver as my Pre/Pro now but hope to upgrade that in the future.

Daniel T

8. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Daniel,

Always good to see some one elso from the area on here. I live off of HWY 119 right down the road from you. Check your email, i just sent you some Birmingham HT information if your interested.

Brandon

9. Daniel T

Bradon,

For some reason my e-mail address was not correct. I just corrected it in my profile. By the way I live off County Road 11. I am just on the other side of Oak Mountain from you.

Daniel T

10. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Ok Dean, I can answer this question with ease. I have the Swan Diva 6.1 package and absolutely love them. I have a parasound855($309 on ubid) running the 4 back R3 surrounds at [email protected] The frontstage is run of a Parasound2003($700)running the front stage at [email protected] although it is a little harder to find this amp. For $1000 you really can't go wrong then the remaining money can be used for a pre/pro. Don't forget to pick up dual SVS25-31CS+ with the Sampson amp. Trust me that is the biggest investment you could make.
    http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/...4542710155.jpg

11. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Daniel,
    I have a Parasound 2205a 220 watts x 5 for sale if interested give me an email.This is a very nice amp. Read the reviews at audio review or in any HT magazine they are all positive.

Regards,
    Steve

12. Daniel T

Steve,

I just purchased the HCA-855 about 2 weeks ago. I know the HCA-2205 probably runs circles around that amp. I just can't buy another amp right now.

Daniel T

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Before I'd opt for recommendations on amplification, and there are many, my first suggestion would be to arrange for an audition of the speakers you're currently considering at home. Yes, I know you've got an older Sony at the present time, but first I think, is to make sure of the speakers. It may well be that for your particular room, you'll need to move up or down within a particular model. What you've heard in the showroom is merely an indication of how they'll sound in your own home. Once you've gotten that part narrowed down you'll know if you have $2500, or $1800 or whatever it is to spend. Your speakers have the greatest impact. Amplification, whether receiver or separates is a distant second...very distant.
    The approach that I take, that I'm proposing, tends to be a slower process. My thinking is more along the lines of measure twice, cut once.

14. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

15. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

16. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

17. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Martice in all areas except the cable department. I used to work for a speaker shop and the markup was insane. I use to buy a lot a wire and received it at cost(which is %85 markup) So wires that cost 500 only costed me $75. Quite honestly I think high-end wire and regular wire differences are so minuscule. Aside from that separates are the way to go.

18. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter