What's new

$2500 to pre-wire house, worth it? (1 Viewer)

Alex F.

Second Unit
Frank:

When we built our house two years ago, I had Crutchfield.com ship out a bulk spool of Monster speaker wire directly to the builder (we lived in New Jersey but the new house was going up in Florida). The builder's two electricians wired a den and a theater room, both in 7.1 (i.e., two side surrounds and two back channels per room). The wires were run inside the walls and "terminated" by leaving about one foot of each wire hanging through a hole ready to be hooked up by me to a speaker-cable wall plate. I designated where to cut out the holes in the walls. The builder did not charge a penny for running the wire.

Note: To pass house inspection, one must utilize code-approved wire. Since I did not run wire through ductwork, I used CL3-rated wire.

Also, at my request, the builder installed a large piece of 3/4" plyboard inside the wall where I intended to install each on-wall surround speaker. This makes for a strong and safe mounting for each side and back speaker. They did not charge for this either.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Another option for wire is Home Depot. I bought a good 100' length of in-wall certified 14 gauge wire for $32.00 that I used to wire my rear surrounds. They'll cut to length at 32 cents a foot. They also have banana plugs available there.

brad cook

Frank.Ch

Agent
Thanks everyone for the replies. This is for my friend who is getting a new house built. He's not sure if the builder will allow third parties to wire the house.

But if the builder is going to allow third parties, we will explore the suggestions posted.

Thanks again!

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

My thoughts exactly.

If I was building a house and wanted a subcontractor to do some work, I would sack the current one if they gave me any lip. Obviously, you would be responsible if the subcontractor complicated the job.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I built my house 2 years ago. I mean I built it. It is a timber frame and we had to have a contractor put up the frame itself. However, I did all the wiring, flooring, etc-everything but plumbing (Our town only has code towards plumbing). Anyway, this is your friends home. He can and should, demand to do the wiring or have someone else do it. $2,500 is insane for a very simple job. Easy profit and that is why the contractor may be resistant.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor

Alex, Where in Florida? I built my house last Nov. and wired it for surround myself. The builder said I could (it's my house anyway) and that since it was low voltage they don't even inspect for it. I think I knew more about wiring than he did though...:D

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Is there any chance that the $2500 includes some nice inwall or other speakers? If it's just for pulling wire, it's too much.

Whether you install inwalls, something else, or nothing right now, It's definitely a good idea to prewire for audio (and anything else) before the drywall goes up.

Matt

Alex F.

Second Unit
Calvin:

I'm in Clermont, in Lake County, Florida.

When I asked, the builder seconded my choice of CL3-rated cable to avoid any inspection problems, which he has seen occur previously. Happily there were none. I also like the peace of mind knowing there is minimal possibility of an unforeseen Murphy's Law in-wall fire. My view is why take even the slightest chance on my family's safety when the code-approved wire is available. In addition, a house is a major investment, and if I could better protect it by spending only a few dollars extra, why not do so?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I'll agree with the majority here. Rip off.

But, I think it would still be a good idea to wire the house now while its all open.
just cause its wired doesnt mean you have to use in-wall speakers. you can hang bookshelf speakers, or even wire it close to the floor for floor standing ones. whatever his preferance would be.

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator
Our builder charged about $250 per room for a 5.1 surround
pre-wire. That was with cheap wire, though. And our
builder did not allow us to do anything ourselves -
otherwise I would have wired every room myself.
Until you close on the house, the builder could not
risk us putting something in the house and then having
us not purchase the home.

But whatever you do - think about where you want those
speakers placed. And have the wire run up the walls
so you can later get the wire out of the wall at the
position you want the speaker - not just on the floor.

Make sure they use good quality wire.

You will be very happy you've done the pre-wire.
You will have a much cleaner look - the cost goes
in the 30 year mortgage - and it will be a nice feature
to help sell the home when you need to.

Brandon

Alex F.

Second Unit
A recommendation my father taught me many years ago when he was a real-estate agent: Never, ever, add incidentals to your mortgage loan. For instance, rolling in the cost of prewiring, say $500 over 30 years at 6% interest, brings the total cost to $1,079.

Following his advice when my wife and I purchased our new home, we paid for the central air-conditioning system and all kitchen appliances out-of-pocket. By doing so we will eventually save about $10,000 compared with rolling those items into the mortgage.

As my wise father said, why keep paying for products long after you've replaced them? That original refrigerator, for example, will be long gone 30 years from now, yet you'll still be paying for it over all those years. Plus, it will have cost about twice as much compared with paying for it in full initially.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Alex:

Some people don't have the luxury of paying for this stuff out of pocket, but your point is a good one.

However, even if it ended up costing 2X the price with interest, what if it was worth 5X when it was time to sell the house? ;)

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,

I would agree with you to some extent. But there are a lot of factors involved depending on your situation. How long do you really plan on having the house? How much money do you have to purchase these incidentals after you've purchased the house?

You also must factor into the equation that you will be getting a tax break on the interest you pay.

Of course, all that said, in-wall wiring after the house is built will cost you over twice as much as it would before the sheet-rock is in place.

And, if you really think ahead of time, you can plan the wiring (with conduits, etc) so that 10...20...30 years down the road when we're all running fiber optics (or whatever the new technology is) you can run those things easier.

Brandon

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

When we built our house a year ago, I encouraged myself to do what Alex suggested. Of course there are limits to how much cash one has on hand, and so we generally would work to reduce the amount of the mortage as much as possible and pay cash for anything we possibly could. I felt if I had cash available, I'd use it and reduce the amount of the mortage as much as possible.

Also realize that with respect to incidentals, and even the structure of the house itself, if you look at the value of them as compared to the land that the house sits on, typically it is the value of the land that appreciates, while the value of the actual house structure and any incidentals is depreciating.

Matt

Stunt Coordinator

That is true - but you also have to consider that it is typically the house and incidentals that sells the property, as well as the location (location, location) of the property. If you have hardwood floors, pre-wired systems, and tasteful extras (tile floors, etc) your house will sell quicker, and for more money than the competition. I've seen houses on comparable lots, with constructions that are quite similar in actual structural cost going for much different prices due to the fact that one house had more desireable incidentals. Of course, the other house having pink marble tile in the master bath didn't help. ;)

Brandon

Adam_R

Second Unit
MEGA RIP-OFF!

The house I'm buying just had it done for $350.

All it costs is some speaker cable and a couple hours labor.

Does the $2500 include a TV, reciever, DVD player and speakers?

Alex F.

Second Unit
Agreed, situations differ. Assuming one is able to afford buying the incidentals, most any scenario makes overall cost lower by not including those items in the mortgage.

Ken: Appliances, for example, would not increase their value even twice, let alone five times, as they lose value rather quickly. Prewiring might appreciate in value, but not likely by 100% or more. There's also the potential buyer who would view those holes in the walls as a problem and would prefer they not exist.

I apologize if I upset anybody, but my goal was to pass along a suggestion that could save HTF members substantial money over the long term. I promise you, mortgage lenders hate it when this recommendation comes up in discussion.

Signing off early--have a great weekend all!

MikeNg

Second Unit
With respect to adding value to your property, I think it also depends on where the house is. If you live in an upper-middle class neighborhood (let's say your household brings in mid six-figures) where it's commonplace to have the entire house wired for sound/network/security, then just doing one room ain't gonna cut it in terms of adding value to your property. In fact, only doing one room may lower the value of your home comparatively. Then again, if you live in a lower class neighborhood where having CAT5 in every room is completely out of the ordinary, it may not add as much value as it would in another demographic.

Frank, tell your friend that now is not the time to go cheapy cheapy (if you know you're not a DIY'er, now's not the time to start!). Do it once, do it right, or don't do it. If the builder does not allow sub's to come in and knock out the wiring, then you could always take LOTS of pictures of the framing (sans sheetrock or course, so you know where all the electrical lines, joist direction, etc. is), and have someone come in and do it after the house is built. If the installer is skilled, he/she should not be daunted by the fact that there's sheetrock up. Especially if they are supplied with pictures of all the rough framing!

Anyway, my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree. Let us know what direction your friend decides to take.

Frank.Ch

Agent
Thanks all, and Mike, I fully agree. It's a very upscale house and that is perhaps why the cost is so high...

But I will tell my friend to take video and a ton of photos if the builder won't let sub-contractors come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks