$2500 price point

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark_Faust, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

Hey all,

I have been out of the HT arena for a while due to a new child... Long story short, my 50"/15yr old/Hitachi Ultravision RPTV has just about had it. I have been holding out for a while because of the changes involved with a new tv. Here are the specs I am looking at:

Price Point: $2500
    Distance to TV from Main seats: 11-12ft
    Size: going to 16:9 means I would like to go to at least a 55"
    Watching prefs:TV/HDTV/DVD - 40/40/20 (no HD now)
    **I will be switching from regular cable to DirectTV or Dish depending on the amount of hd channels available**

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thx
    Mark

2. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

75 looks and not a response?? help a guy out here....

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I wrote a pretty long reply, and the board seems to have eaten it. (This has happened with a couple of other posts this week.)

Here's the short version: I've also been out of the TV market for a long time, with no HD service available and no money for upgrades, I saw no point in torturing and/or tempting myself. Now I can get HD service and my financial posistion is better and I've started looking.

At your friend's price point he's mostly going to be looking at CRT-based RPTVs, maybe a few LCD or DLP projectors. LCD panels are simply too expensive at the size he's interested in. Prices can jump by $1,000 going from a 42" to a 50" or larger LCD, to the point where they can't really compete with plasma at the upper size range in the flat-panel market.

Regards,

Joe

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Is front projection an option for you?

5. Mark_Faust

Mark_Faust Extra

Unfortunately not at this time..
    The distance from wall to wall is only about 13ft..Toss in a couch and TV width and I only have about 10..

Besides, I might be moving next spring and dont want to put any more holes in the walls if possible...

thx for the comment

Mark

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

You might just want to sit tight till you figure out if you are moving in the spring.
    But here is the top rated micro-dsiplay rear projector from the November 2005 Consumer Reports.

Sharp 56DR650- $2,500. The ONLY rear projector: micro-dsiplay or crt that got the highest rating on HD programming. This is a DLP

If you want a bigger screen and HD performance is not as important to you, the JVC HD-61Z886-$2,800 is a good choice. The is a HD-ILA.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Well under your budget is the Sony 50A10, might check that out if under 55" is doable. The 60" A20 is in that range too I guess but not nearly going like gangbusters as the A10 from what I hear...

8. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Check out the Samsung HL-R5067W; this is the one I want but plans on hold for now [​IMG]

I LOVE this episode!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]