250 year old tortoise dies

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Hunter P, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Poor thing. The good die young.

Actually, they can only document 150 years. 250 years is just a guess. Still a pretty amazing lifespan.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

That's crazy if it's true. I've read that some Galapagos tortoises that are around or were around a few years ago, were around when Charles Darwin was at the islands. Don't remember what magazine or book it was from though.

4. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I wonder how old that tortoise was when he last fathered an offspring.....it might have been in his younger days, or even as late as mid-age....when he was 130 yrs old !

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

"The tortoise had been the pet of Robert Clive, the famous British military officer in colonial India around the middle of the 18th century, a local minister in West Bengal state said."

I know a lot of people get confused about the way we count centuries. "The middle of the 18th century" is 1750.
    No one is contesting the provenance of the tortoise.

Looks like "Addwaitya" might have been 280 years old.

6. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I still have a hard time grasping the concept of living that long. Seeing the same cage (habitat) every day. Eat, drink, sleep, rinse, repeat for years and years.