$250 a fair price for a 5 y/o lcd projector w/low houres/new bulb? Sharp XV-S55U

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jimi C, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Would i be stupid to buy a 5 or 6 year old Sharp XV-S55U with low hours and a new bulb for $250? I just want to get my feet wet in the world of front projection, find out if its right for me. I dont think i should have a problem unloading it if im unsatisfied.. what do you guys think? if you need more info lmk..

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Shar...es-XV-S55U.htm

yes, i am aware, i spelled hours wrong in the title.. and im sure there are numerous other gramatical errors..

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Sounds like a good price, but the only thing you're going to be able to use it for at full resolution is 4:3 SD and EDTV. It doesn't have the resolution to support 16:9 anamorphic DVD. You may want to look into a DIY anamorphic lens filter. I've seen plans for one on the forum somewhere, i think in one of the many X1 threads. If you built or bought an anamorphic lens filter you would be able to get the full resolution of anamorphic widescreen DVD.

Light output is also kind-of low, but in a dark room it should be sufficient.

Hope this helps

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

What would happen if i tried to play a 16:9 anamorphic dvd? I was planning on using this just for dvd's.

4. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

It would be just like playing a DVD on a non-16:9 TV. You just won't get the added resolution that you can get with an anamorphic DVD.

In this same price range (if you're willing to look around locally) you may find a used CRT. My first projector was a locally picked up Ampro 2000D (7" CRT). It handles anamorphic resolutions, and even HD just fine (although a little soft on the HD).

You need to realize though that a CRT is more involved to set up. It would be about as bright as that Sharp LCD.

5. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The contrast levels will be low. I have a two year old projector and the contrast ratio is only 300:1
    I've gone as far as I can in trying to improve black levels with it. I've seen a Z2 which has 1300:1 contrast ratio and the colours were much more vivid and blacks were better.
    If you didn't say it had a new bulb I would have said forget it save your money however, if you just want to get your feet wet $250 doesn't sound that bad compared to $1000.

6. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Brings up another question.. white screen or grey screen? Its going to be in a basement and im a night owl so i doubt that light will ever be an issue. When you say low, is this going to look terrible.. or just not as good as newer projectors? Im not that picky when it comes to pq, do you really think that it will be that big of an issue?

ian.. btw..nice speakers and sub =)

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

Where does one look to find a used projector?

8. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I found mine at a local University surplus sale.

I've also bought off ebay before and had them shipped (shipping is quite expensive).

Another source (probably the most reliable) is to buy from a reputable reseller/refurbisher like Curt Palme. Curt's website is:

www.curtpalme.com

There are others also that you can find in the CRT Projector section of AVSForum.

Matt

9. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

Some films look good on my projector. The beginning of Master and Commander however is a real ball breaker for me. I set out when I saw that film that I was going to improve my black levels. I'm still not happy.
    So probably nine tenths of the films you watch will be good.

10. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I look at it like this.. for $250, you cant even get a 32" standard def tv.

just searched ebay.. this exact projector is currently on ebay with 5 days left in auction, at $426 with 7 bids. If i dont like it, ill sell it and double my money. =)

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This sounds a lot like my old projector, the Sharpvision XVZ1U, a VGA PJ @ 640x480. If you plan to play DVD's on it then you are basically getting a 640x360 onscreen resolution for a 1.78:1 movie like Toy Story for example.

On the other hand, try it out like you said. If you don't like it you can offload it on ebay again. If nothing else, this will wet your appetite for something with better specs down the road, plus you will build up some experience in front projection.

12. John S

John S Producer

Definetly one of those "At that price, you can't lose" things. Post back please about your experiences with it.

13. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I found a link to a guide on making a DIY anamorphic lens. This would let you get the full resolution of 16:9 anamorphic movies by having the projector display the full 16:9 image squeezed into the 4:3 frame your projector produces. The lens then stretches the 4:3 image into the propper 16:9 aspect ratio. It looks like the build could be a bit more than easy, but well worth it in terms of instant resolution gain as well as possibly a fun and inexpensive way to make your $250 find much more valuable to you (in terms of the picture it produces).

The guide shown here uses sheet metal for the frame od the screen, but you could do it in wood which would (in my opinion) be easier). It also has you cutting all of your own glass pieces, but if you have a local hardware store that cuts glass they could probably make all the cuts for you since they're all strait cuts. You would probably have to draw it all out on the glass for them though. This would also prevent you from having to buy a glass cutter.

http://home.c2i.net/ahustvedt/lens.html

14. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

That *looks* easy enough. That might be something i can talk the old man into helping me with. Im pretty sure i have all the tools required.

Ill finally have a good reason to order a copy of avia also. And i will need to get a long compenent video cable. Both of those purchases will be made on ebay.

15. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Ok, the deal is done and the projector will be shipped monday, im expecting it to arrive on thursday or friday. Perfect considering im on vacation from work starting wednesday. Ill take some screen shots and post them as soon as i can. I also purchased a 25' component cable on ebay for $15. Python gold series i beleive. I dont know too much when it comes to cables but the price was sure right. Any other extras i need? I also got a screen but i dont want to talk about it, im kind of afraid it kills the good the deal.

oh man i hate waiting.

16. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Got it today.. DOA.. big F*@%ing surprise. Now i have to try to get my money back,

17. John S

John S Producer

Oh man.. Sorry to hear that... big time...

18. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I emailed the seller he said he would call me later and see if he can help me get it up and running. He thinks the bulb was damaged during shipping and says if thats the case he will get me a new one. According to the manual the lamp replacement led should light up if there is a problem with the bulb and it isnt. I turn it on the and power LED lights red and i hear no fans running or anything. Who knows.
    He said he powered it up right before he put it in the box and it was working then.

So i guess the answer to my first question would be, No!