$250-$300 Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewLevine, Apr 26, 2006.

1. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a pair of Athena AS-F2.2 speakers and I am currently running them off an old Pioneer stereo receiver rated at 50 watts/channel.

I would like a digital receiver so I can decode digital signals, and also have the option to expan to 5.1 (or greater) in the future. It would be used for 95% music (2.0 or eventually 2.1) And I would like to keep the cost between $250-$300.

I hear good things about Harman Kardons 135, and 140. Anyone have any input on those or any other ideas? All insight welcome.

Thanks for your time,
    Andrew

2. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andrew;
    Here's a decent refurbished HK receiver direct from Harman Audio that has a full manufacturer's warranty for right in your ballpark.

I've purchased a couple of things from them refurbished, both looked brand new and I've never had a problem w/either. This is a solid budget receiver w/expandability for future use as well... -TD

3. johnADA

johnADA Stunt Coordinator

How about $99 for a refurbed Onkyo 303!!! Its 65 watts per channel and has what you stated you needed. I was myself looking at the Harmons when I found this. Its a entry level upper end unit and I love mine so far. Got it from J&R Music!

4. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Panisonic xr-55

5. AndrewLevine

AndrewLevine Stunt Coordinator

Tom- I wanted to thank you for your advice. I looked at the receiver, decided it was the best option for me, looked at HK's direct Ebay store, and got that same one for $275 (including shipping). If you didn't point that out I would still be running my F2.2's off of 22 year old Pioneer receiver.

Everyone Else- Thanks for your time and input

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Jacob - the Panasonic XR55's are sold out everywhere, and he'd be lucky to be able to find one on sale

7. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

You're quite welcome and Good find, Andrew! [​IMG]

I completely forgot about checking their eBay store, but glad to see you found it even cheaper than their website. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but let us know once you've got it in the house, set it up and given it a good test run... -TD