$250 -280 for reciever. Vr-507? Please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., Dec 1, 2001.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

Well i just got $760 from work and birthday and am building a HT system. Right now I have 2 JBL N38's, JBL pb 10 sub on order. That leaves me with around $250 give or take for a reciever. I had my eyes set on the Kenwood vr-507 and am really wanting to get it because of the 5x100 watts and .07% thd. I will be adding a center and surround later, so i need some help on choosing the main part. Reciever!! If anyone can help me out, that would be great. This is going into a big dorm room.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I highly recommend the Kenwood vr-507, however it's specs are: 100x5 watts 20-20,000hz 0.7% THD and 0.05%THD @ 1khz.

These are good specs for a budget receiver and the 507 sounds great has dts, DPL2,and is loaded with inputs.

For $250 the Kenwood is pretty much unbeatable.

Welcome to the HTF!

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'd have to say the Onkyo 494 will beat the Kenwood. it can be had online for about the same price. better build quality too.

4. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

5. Sean Conklin

Thomas, the 494 is not that great , it is not very flexible with speaker settings/delay. And I found it did not sound as good or powerful as the Kenwood 507.

If we want to talk Onkyo, we better move up to the 595!

Jeff, I don't know what those people at audioreview are talking about, and i don't think they do either! There are many happy Kenwood owners on this forum and hopefully they can chime in here at set you at ease.

I'm not going to recommend any Crap to you. I've been installing and dealing with Kenwood for a couple years and can tell you they sound great, especially for the money.

Go out and see if you can get a good demonstration of the Kenwood and other comparable brands. Let your ears decide, just make sure you get to hear the 507 with a nice set of speakers and proper calibration.

As a matter of fact I run a Kenwood VR-407 with JBL N-26 mains, N-24 surrounds, N-Center, and a JBL PB-12 sub, completely calibrated, and to me and others I demo it for are in awe with how great it sounds. BTW some of the people I have demoed for have more expensive equipment than I and they want to know why my system sounds better. hehe

However I do credit speaker placement and calibration, as a good part of the reason my system sounds so incredible.

Yes incredible, I myself can't believe how good my budget system sounds.

6. PaulShady

PaulShady Agent

I'm about to order the Kenwood VR-509 for around $289. Shipping will push it up a few more bucks, but I think this is definately in your price range.
    Good luck,
    Paul
    PS. I loved the Onkyo 595, but the 494 is a serious step down from the 595. Very little flexibilty with the 494. So I split the difference and settled with the VR-509![​IMG]

7. Sean Conklin

Way to go Paul.....enjoy!

8. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The Kenwood ROCKS for the price. Those people are NUTS. Every forum/board has its share of Kenwood haters.
    Onkyo = No SRS Circle Surround, no adjustable DPL2 music mode, etc.
    Kenwood = SRS Circle Surround and adjustable DPL2 music mode.
    I like Kenwood and Onkyo(minus the 494). Both sound good, but Kenwood just has more bang for the buck. You will be very happy with a JBL and Kenwood match.

9. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

10. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Count me in as a Kenwood supporter. I've been using the VR-509 for a little over 2 weeks and I love it (Was using the VR-405 for a year before the upgrade)

As far as I know, the only differences between the 507 and the 509 are the Component Video Switching and the remote so the 507 is a good choice. If it was available separately at Future Shop, I would've got the 507 instead of the 509 since I don't have any devices that uses Component Video and when I will it may not work well because of this whole issue with most receivers not being able to switch HD signals properly.

11. Sean Conklin

Thanks Vin and Martin for your input, we Kenwood guys have to stick together![​IMG]
    I mean c'mon people we are talking about "Kenwood", not Bose!
    Kenwood makes good receivers and always has!
    Kenwood is a serious contender, and probably the best of the budgets!!
    Back to the topic: I like Kenwood, Onkyo, Denon, B&K, etc. and just feel that when you don't have much to spend Kenwood is the King of the budget receivers.
    And I also love the flagship Kenwood 5900(but is still out of my reach).

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Haha! I just read the responses at AR.com! As a long time subscriber to the audioreview forums, I have to admit that they/we are a wiley bunch. Patience and friendliness are what set HTF apart from them. There are a couple good guys over there...you just have to look hard for them [​IMG]

13. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Personally I am a bit disapointed with Kenwood. My first and present reciever is a VR-407. While it is a decent reciever for the money, the rear audio inputs have ceased to work after only about a year and a half of service. Actually the wole unit froze up on me last night. After reseting the computer I got the radio and the front AV/Aux In to work but thats it. Oh well. . time to upgrade I guess!

Rob

14. Sean Conklin

15. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

I ordered a 507 the other day. I should have it in a week or so.

16. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Go to Circuit City and GET THE VR-509 for $299!!! BETTER REMOTE!!! A FEW MORE FEATURES!!! NOT MANY... BUT ENOUGH!!!

I am currently concidering the VR-509 for a set of Jamo Apollo satalites that I am going to buy... The guy at my hi-fi shop gave me a price for...

Onkyo 595 ($499) with the jamo's ($699) - $1029.00 (Package)

Kenwood VR-510 ($599) with the jamo's ($699) - $1079.00 (Package)

I was having a hard time choosing between the two... But I have a 10 year old Kenwood 6010AV that is working great... So I'm having problems comitting to a Onkyo...

After I get myself away from the THX certification... and the few more features... I might go back in this week and get a price on the VR509 with the speakers... And just get that one... Especially if I can save a couple of hundred dollars...

Get the kenwood 509...

Bill

17. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Your best bet with something like a Kenwood is to go to a local store and take one home to try out. Don't know where you're from, but if you have a Circuit City or comperable store local, you have 30 days to try it out and return if you don't like it for any reason.

I'm a big Kenwood supporter and think the 507 is a great piece.

Don't take those "reviews" you read very seriously. Anybody who posts something like...

18. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

19. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

Just to throw another possibility at you, take a look here. http://accessories4less.com/advscrip...&sPrice=288.88. I just purchased this receiver for my first HT. I was looking at the Onkyo 595 and Denon's comparably priced receiver (can't remember which model number off the top of my head). I was very pleased with the condition of the receiver upon delivery. It is a referb and I was expecting some scratches or dings, but none were to be found. I have not hooked it up to anything substantial yet, just a set of cheap Sharp speakers from my old all-in-one piece of crap (Bought it when I first came in the Navy about 8 years ago). The only thing I can tell you is that it was able to make those garbage speakers sound much better than the old "system". A friend from work recommended the Marantz, says it is a much better receiver for the $$$. Just a thought. Oh, BTW, it does come with a one year parts-and-labor warrenty.

20. ColinW

ColinW Agent

I will jump in as a Kenwood supporter as well. I have been running a VR509 in my HT for abotu a month now and I am very happy with it. The video switching is a bonus and the remote is excellent. I have not used a 507 but I assume it is basically the same with a few less features. I also have had two old Kenwoods in my audio system for years and they still work very well.

I am sure a Kenwood/JBL package would suit your needs nicely!

COlin